Need new equipment opinion

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so here it is! Just got back from a brief hiatus and I’ve got an itch that needs a scratchin. I currently have a MAK 1 Star with flame zone that I love. I’ve also got a Weber 22”, along with a Hunsaker drum. I’m currently eyeballing the Recteq Bullseye or Masterbuilt 1050 for the arsenal. Looking for something to use during the week for quick mid to high heat grilling/searing. I’m aware of the switch issues Masterbuilt has along with charcoal falling through the hopper. A little worried about mass production customer service if there is a problem, but like idea of charcoal and bigger space. I feel extremely confident in rec teq service, but less space and no charcoal (cheaper too). I love my MAK, but it takes forever to get to 500 in grill mode. If you could get one, what would you get and why? :noidea:

With the Weber 22, it sounds like you have it covered. But I understand that "itch" to get a new toy.

The Rec Tec Bullseye is interesting. I don't remember seeing anybody here that owns one so I haven't seem an objective review of it. There are a ton of folks on the REc Tec facebook groups that rave about them, but most of those people are total fanboys and if Rec Tec came out with a screen door for a submarine, these folks would give it a great review.

But from what I have read, they do get up to temp fairly fast. I have read issues with back burning though. But for the money, you are not out too much if you don't like it and could easily offload it to a Rec Tec fan if you want to get rid of it. Another downside is that they sell out really quick and are hard to come by. At least that is the way it was for a good part of 2020.

I'd recommend getting a Vortex for your Weber 22 if you don't have one. With some good lump, you can sear with the best of them.

I'd recommend getting a Vortex for your Weber 22 if you don't have one. With some good lump, you can sear with the best of them.
I've got the vortex. I love it using wings. I'm probably leaning to the masterbuilt, but can't seem to do it. Just too many bugs with it. I'm probably going to add some Grill Grates to the weber and call it a day!

I have the MB560 and really like it. Also puts out fantastic pizzas. I guess I am lucky and have had Zero issues with mine and used it a bunch this year even in sub-freezing temps. One mod I did do it put foil over the manifold but, that's just for easier clean up.

I've got the vortex. I love it using wings. I'm probably leaning to the masterbuilt, but can't seem to do it. Just too many bugs with it. I'm probably going to add some Grill Grates to the weber and call it a day!

I'm a fan of gravity fed smokers, and have have one (Limo not the Masterbuilt). I wouldn't add the MB 1050 if the plan was for mostly high temp grilling though. I think most of the issues wit it from what I hear are related more to high temp use than low and slow...I could be wrong though, just what I think I remember hearing.

Masterbuilt has a new size of these, I think it’s 800, that comes with a griddle top. Something you might want to look into if you don’t have a griddle or if it makes it easier to justify since it has an additional capability. They also may have worked out some of the bugs since it is brand new.

I have a 36” griddle sitting on the back patio. (BTW, makes amazing shallow fried cube steak) and I love it. I would rather the extra space of the 1050 as I would never use the griddle. I so want to pull the trigger on the 1050 and just see where the build quality gods lead me.

Ok, so here it is! Just got back from a brief hiatus and I’ve got an itch that needs a scratchin. I currently have a MAK 1 Star with flame zone that I love. I’ve also got a Weber 22”, along with a Hunsaker drum. I’m currently eyeballing the Recteq Bullseye or Masterbuilt 1050 for the arsenal. Looking for something to use during the week for quick mid to high heat grilling/searing. I’m aware of the switch issues Masterbuilt has along with charcoal falling through the hopper. A little worried about mass production customer service if there is a problem, but like idea of charcoal and bigger space. I feel extremely confident in rec teq service, but less space and no charcoal (cheaper too). I love my MAK, but it takes forever to get to 500 in grill mode. If you could get one, what would you get and why? :noidea:

Some folks were lucky enough to pick up the smaller Masterbuilt 560 at a discount right now at Walmart though the only ones that have any stock near me are at or near full price (which is probably good as I don't need one)

On the Bullseye, from everything I've seen and read it works well for its' intended use and would do a good job for what you've described. I don't think it's made as well as the other Rectec products that they've built the reputation on. Admittedly, it's also quite a bit cheaper so maybe that should be expected but I do worry about a company who started their reputation based on really high quality construction expanding into something that much cheaper.

Just my .02, I know you are a charcoal guy but it's hard to beat one of the Weber Gassers for fast weeknight cooks. With a pellet tube or wood chip box you can get some smoke flavor on it too. 600*F quickly on a gasser? No problem.

Good luck with your decision.

1 pellet smoker is plenty for me, Masterbuilt has a new smoker with a bottom fan operated fire box, pretty sure I will have 1 before too long, fairly simple so repairs would be simple. not looked for reviews in a while but not sure how many are out there at the moment,

1 pellet smoker is plenty for me, Masterbuilt has a new smoker with a bottom fan operated fire box, pretty sure I will have 1 before too long, fairly simple so repairs would be simple. not looked for reviews in a while but not sure how many are out there at the moment,

What is that masterbuilt smoker called? Do you have a link to the website for it? I’ve looked at the masterbuilt website and can’t find what you are describing.

What is that masterbuilt smoker called? Do you have a link to the website for it? I’ve looked at the masterbuilt website and can’t find what you are describing.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/pages/gravity-series-1050

Looks like the search may be on hold for a while anyways. Car decided to side swipe me on my way home from work, then flee the scene. So I think my grill money is going to go to an insurance deductible.

Back