MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:43 AM   #1
Etepete
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Peter
Default European oak vs Red oak and white oak

Hi there! I'm a bit of a beginner at wood smoke bbq, having only smoked with chunks on a kettle before, and while I wait for my offset to arrive I'm looking around for my wood options. I live in belgium, and it seems relatively easy to get a hold of oak wood, which is what most people seem to use for their woodburning needs around here. As far as I can tell, this means European oak.

Now, I realise that alot of you may be US based so may not be using european oak, but I just wanted to check if anyone still would happen to know whether there is a big difference between European oak and red or white oak which seems to be the staple of US smoking? Is it still a decent pick as the main wood fuel?

Sorry for the novice question and many thanks for your help!

Last edited by Etepete; 11-24-2020 at 04:01 AM..
Etepete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 05:23 AM   #2
Etepete
Got Wood.

Some further googling for English oak (same thing) seems to indicate that it is basically white oak. Phew

Old 11-24-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Given the wide variety of species in the red and white groups that have been used successfully, I wouldn't hesitate to use any oak species for cooking.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-24-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

European oak - Quercus Robur - is a white oak. Smoke away.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-24-2020, 06:45 AM   #5
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Hey Peter, European oak is fine, I use it a lot.

You should check 2dehands.be or Facebook marketplace for wood sources. I´m sure you can find good seasoned wood in your area, if not, look for it in Wallonia. I have a good source nearby (Rillaar), they deliver but there´s probably an additional charge for it. Let me know if you want their details.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #6
Etepete
Got Wood.

Thank you all, that's really reassuring! I'll be getting that oak :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
You should check 2dehands.be or Facebook marketplace for wood sources. I´m sure you can find good seasoned wood in your area, if not, look for it in Wallonia. I have a good source nearby (Rillaar), they deliver but there´s probably an additional charge for it. Let me know if you want their details.
Thank you, that is really useful. Didn't realise you could get wood on 2dehands, will have a look. Thanks for the suggestion, you've got a PM :)

Old 11-24-2020, 07:26 AM   #7
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Congrats on getting an offset. Looking forward to seeing some European Oak smoke rolling out of it.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
Etepete
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzadski View Post
Congrats on getting an offset. Looking forward to seeing some European Oak smoke rolling out of it.
Cheers! Me too like you couldn't believe - 1-2 weeks until delivery....!

Old 11-24-2020, 08:36 AM   #9
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
Given the wide variety of species in the red and white groups that have been used successfully, I wouldn't hesitate to use any oak species for cooking.

Fella that manages the wood lot here, where I buy wood , says there's 10,000 varieties of oak.

I'm seasoning some Pin Oak, that was cut down a couple blocks from my house earlier this year. This is an oak developed primarily for landscaping. But it has a really nice aroma, just like all the other oaks I've burned.

I'm thinking oak is oak.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #10
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

And btw, I would gladly trade some Oklahoma oak for some Petrus Red Ale

I love that beer, but very hard to find out here in middle of America.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #11
Etepete
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
And btw, I would gladly trade some Oklahoma oak for some Petrus Red Ale

I love that beer, but very hard to find out here in middle of America.
Yeah sorry, that's one of the beauties of living in Belgium (moved here a few years ago) - I havent tried Petrus, thank you for the tip. Happy to do the trade of course, but the logistics might be tricky ;) To be fair, there is a wide range of american brews I'd happily trade for too

P.s. it was actually an old American friend who introduced me to cherry beer, apparently a big thing in Michigan too, years ago in a small belgian pub in Cork, in Ireland. I didn't really appreciate it that first time, but boy that changed once I started to try some of the really good lambics and Flemish reds you get around here

Old 11-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #12
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etepete View Post
Yeah sorry, that's one of the beauties of living in Belgium (moved here a few years ago) - I havent tried Petrus, thank you for the tip. Happy to do the trade of course, but the logistics might be tricky ;) To be fair, there is a wide range of american brews I'd happily trade for too

P.s. it was actually an old American friend who introduced me to cherry beer, apparently a big thing in Michigan too, years ago in a small belgian pub in Cork, in Ireland. I didn't really appreciate it that first time, but boy that changed once I started to try some of the really good lambics and Flemish reds you get around here

Petrus Red, is a flemish red. I googled your location and saw you were in Flanders.

Old 11-24-2020, 07:43 PM   #13
Banjobob
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Beats the hell out of me about the oak, but as a matter of coincidence I'm enjoying a St Bernardus abt 12 as we speak. Heavenly nectar and the finest ale conceived by man. Thank you to you and your country men. Cheers.
Banjobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #14
AWilliams
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : SoCal

Oak is oak wherever you go...don't complicate it.
AWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2020, 01:34 AM   #15
Etepete
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjobob View Post
Beats the hell out of me about the oak, but as a matter of coincidence I'm enjoying a St Bernardus abt 12 as we speak. Heavenly nectar and the finest ale conceived by man. Thank you to you and your country men. Cheers.
That's an excellent abbey brew. I cant really claim any credit on behalf of the belgians, I just live here (I'm from Sweden). I suppose you could say I'm trying to contribute in my own small way, though.... One batch of amber ale done, one batch of blond ale on the go, and as soon as I get my smoker I'm planning to try a brew-and-smoke day. I reckon it can be done in parallel