uds charcoal basket

kwmjd

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I don't have the time or know how to even attempt to build a charcoal basket. So I was wondering if anyone sells them already made. I think I can handle the rest of the build. Thanks, Keith

Take some pics to a welding shop, I'm sure they could whip one up for you.

Glad to hear it Johnny! :)
I've been using mine for 2 years and it works great! .... it sits on top of a grate but it would be no problem to add legs made from bolts.

No welding involved, just cutting and folding the expanded metal, then bolting together.

I use the heck out of mine.

That's how I made mine and it works perfectly.

picture.php

I took a 16"x48" piece of expanded metal, rolled it and welded the ends together. I used 2 pieces of 1' flat steel cut 3" longer than the diameter of the rolled expmet. Bent one end of each 2" from the end, made an X through the holes in the basket drilled a hole in the opposite end and put a hitch pin through each one. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the center of the X inserted a 1/2" x1/4-20 ss bolt and nut. Set your grate on top and, voila. I can now pull out the hitch pins and bolt and raise or lower the bottom of the basket for grilling or smoking. I used a pizza pan for an ash catcher held on with 3 return springs. I'm extremely happy with the way it works. My cooking grates are 24" and 31" from the bottom of the drum. I have grilled and smoked on the drum and so far I have no complaints.

Attachments

• Bill's Homemade Smoker 003.jpg
    Bill's Homemade Smoker 003.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 551
  • Bill's Homemade Smoker 004.jpg
    Bill's Homemade Smoker 004.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 544
  • Bill's Homemade Smoker 005.jpg
    Bill's Homemade Smoker 005.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 536
Here's mine. No welding, minimal cutting, and all held together with stainless strap-ties.

It's 12x12x12 and can easily run my drum at 225 for 24+ hours.

Attachments

• DSCF0384.jpg
    DSCF0384.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 531
Glad to hear it Johnny! :)
I've been using mine for 2 years and it works great! .... it sits on top of a grate but it would be no problem to add legs made from bolts.

No welding involved, just cutting and folding the expanded metal, then bolting together.

I use the heck out of mine.

How long of a burn can you get out of a basket this size? What is it 12x12x6? Is that large enough to get a long enough burn like 10 hours? Just curious as I need to make myself a new charcoal basket.

How long of a burn can you get out of a basket this size? What is it 12x12x6? Is that large enough to get a long enough burn like 10 hours? Just curious as I need to make myself a new charcoal basket.

QueMaster, you should be able to get at least a 10 hr burn out of the coals. Here's the last pork butt I did http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2010/04/another-chipotle-cremosa-smoked-pork.html
It went for a little over 8 hours and had plenty of coals left.
I took a picture of the coals that were left when I pulled the butt off of the drum.

The basket isn't fancy...but it works. :-D I've used this same one for 2 years and it's still in good shape.

I just ran cowgirl's exact design for 18 hours with Kingsford Competition Briquettes and some hickory chunks mixed in. I have mine 3" off the bottom of the drum using large bolts.

Here's mine. 2 - 24"x12" pieces of expanded metal from home depot wrapped around a small grill grate. Bolted together in a cylinder, then used wire to attach to the grate. A pizza pan bottom. I used 4 bolts attached to the grate that do not go through the pizza pan.Then one bolt going through the middle of the pizza pan and secured to the grill grate with a wingnut and washer. Tighteing the wingnut puts pressure on the other four bolts agains the pizza pan holding it all together.

It took me about 20 minutes to make. When bending the expanded metal wear leather gloves.

Oh and I just ran a couple strands of wire twisted up for my handle.

I put one bag of charcoal in it on saturday afternoon and pulled the meat on sunday morning (no wisecracks). Ther was easily enough charcoal to keep going for another 6-8 hours at least.

basket.jpg

I modified my basket a bit since posting the pics, I removed the 16" weber charcoal grate and replaced it with expanded metal. I found that too many coals were falling through. I'm happier with the mod. I raised the bottom yesterday to about 4" from the top to grill a pair of spatchcocked birds, it worked great.

Cheap way out Guys. Find an old Metal milk crate. I know they are hard to find but they fit just right in the drum.I took some old expanded metal from lawn furniture and made dividers for the Minion method. Hooks to lift in and out and you are all set.

Not sure on the science but I use an old 18" weber kettle 3x3 vent bottom with 1 bag of RO lump minioned twice now. Got 12 hours plus anywhere I wanted between 225-260.. might could have got more but the meat was done..

Back