MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:22 PM   #1
insurroundsound
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Still a little brisket confusion - when to separate for burnt ends?

Could use your last-minute help. I'm gonna be working from home tomorrow so I decided I'd try my first brisket. I read the basic brisket tutorial and a few other threads, but I'm still a little confused about when to separate the flat & point for burnt ends.

I typically like to let my big meats rest for 1.5-2 hours before cutting. However, I'd like to chop up the point in order to try my hand at burnt ends as well. In the basic brisket tutorial, the brisket rested only 1/2 hour before the point and flat were separated and the burnt ends put back on the pit for several hours.

What are the majority of you guys and gals doing when it comes to this? Are you guys separating them immediately, once the brisket is probe-tender, and then letting the flat rest several hours while the chopped point goes back on the pit? (This would seem to yield the best result for having burnt ends ready to serve with a 2-hour rested flat.) Are you letting the whole thing rest 2 hours before separating the two pieces? (This would seem to add a lot of cook time if done this way.) Are you guys compromising with a 1/2-hour rest on the whole, maybe a 1-hour rest? And then putting the burnt ends back on the pit?

Your input would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
[COLOR="DimGray"]O.G. Rock's Stoker (White); Thermapens/BlueDots; Ceramic Grill Store Adj. BGE Rig & Spider...blah, blah, blah[/COLOR][/FONT]

Last edited by insurroundsound; 04-03-2014 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: typo
insurroundsound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Randy3269
is one Smokin' Farker

I separated mine right there on the pit. Left the point on and put the flat to rest. Seemed to work ok. Your not really cutting any meat, just the fat that joins them.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
ironmanerik
is One Chatty Farker

+1 you can almost put the bottom of the tongs in the fat layer and pull it right off.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #4
rtboswell
Full Fledged Farker

I have used all of the methods you described above with no difference in quality since you are really just separating the layer of fat between the meat as everyone else mentions. Use the info you get on here as a baseline and experiment to see what you like best- there are so many different ways to get quality 'que!

Old 04-04-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
wjwheeler
Full Fledged Farker

I let my brisket rest for 1.5 - 2 hours before I separate the point for my burnt ends.
MMS Vulcan V33 Gravity Feed with Stoker
Myron Mixon 72XC - Sold
Jumbo J3 - Sold
Jacks Old South Original Patio Smoker
Myron Mixon Pitmaster Q3 36" Barrell & 24" Square
wjwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #6
TroyA65
is one Smokin' Farker

I've only done it once, but I separated w/o a rest then wrapped the flat. I cut up the point and back on the cooker.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Since this is your first brisket I would recommend against the burnt ends. Just keep it simple. Salt, pepper and fire.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyA65 View Post
I've only done it once, but I separated w/o a rest then wrapped the flat. I cut up the point and back on the cooker.
There ya go!

Old 04-04-2014, 09:29 AM   #9
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

I agree with everyone. I don't think it matters since it's just a fat layer.
I personally divide right at the start of the rest. burnt ends back on, flat in the cambro. Oh,.. I don't cube it up or sauce until after its finished rendering that fat down. some people cube it up and sause it and such, then put back on,... which probably works great, just ain't my style.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Before you cook it......
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

I rested first. then separated. then cubed.
won't do that next time.

when I cubed the point and put them cubes back on the heat, they seemed to stay spongy forever.

since it was my first shot with the whole point, not sure it really made a difference.......
but will try it the other way next time.
floydo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Zig
Knows what a fatty is.

I agree, before you cook it.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #13
floydo
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig View Post
I agree, before you cook it.

but if doing this is wrong............do you want to be right ?

floydo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #14
kwas68
is one Smokin' Farker

I guess I'm in the minority. I do it at the wrap stage and wrap them separately.

I find the point is usually done quicker and I'll pull it off before the flat. It goes for a little rest before it is cubed and thrown back on the pit. I time it so that the burnt ends are hot and the flat has been resting a couple of hours at the time of serving.

UDS's, Multiple Weber Grills
kwas68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #15
bobthetomato
Knows what a fatty is.

I just do it right after I pull it off and throw them back on and hit em hard with smoke. Darn now I hungry....
bobthetomato is offline   Reply With Quote