MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Default You guys think I've got a handle on my Over N Under?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-lE...7unJUAcUI/view

Butt, ploughboys yardbird + braggs liquid aminos + fish sauce to make the rub slightly wet, straight pecan wood fire.

Let me have it :D

Old 07-21-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

Looks like you know what your doing

Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #4
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Got my over 'n under about a month ago, this is my 4th go, first time with an upgraded fire grate. Smoked that today for inlaws coming over tomorrow to swim because I'd rather hang in the pool than cook all day on a Sunday....especially if inlaws are gonna be here. Generally I stick to apple wood, oak, and hickory. This is my first smoke ever with pecan because it was on clearance at academy. Upgraded fire grate is absolutely a huge difference.....I've never had a stick burner before until now and with new fire grate I could hold this thing anywhere between 225 and 400 as long as I wanted to feed it. I'm so happy and it's such a huge upgrade (IMO and for my preference) from my 22.5 WSM that I gave to my Dad.

Menu tomorrow is gonna be slaw, baked beans, pulled pork, and a coconut cream pie my wife made.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
Got my over 'n under about a month ago, this is my 4th go, first time with an upgraded fire grate. Smoked that today for inlaws coming over tomorrow to swim because I'd rather hang in the pool than cook all day on a Sunday....especially if inlaws are gonna be here. Generally I stick to apple wood, oak, and hickory. This is my first smoke ever with pecan because it was on clearance at academy. Upgraded fire grate is absolutely a huge difference.....I've never had a stick burner before until now and with new fire grate I could hold this thing anywhere between 225 and 400 as long as I wanted to feed it. I'm so happy and it's such a huge upgrade (IMO and for my preference) from my 22.5 WSM that I gave to my Dad.

Menu tomorrow is gonna be slaw, baked beans, pulled pork, and a coconut cream pie my wife made.
what firegrate did you go to?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:42 PM   #6
jimbotx
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

I’ve been looking at some of the Old Country smokers. I think I remember reading some reviews of the fire box (at least maybe the cover) warping pretty badly. Have you had any problems like that? Was wondering if it has anything to do with the specs on the smoker saying to use charcoal as fuel.
jimbotx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotx View Post
I’ve been looking at some of the Old Country smokers. I think I remember reading some reviews of the fire box (at least maybe the cover) warping pretty badly. Have you had any problems like that? Was wondering if it has anything to do with the specs on the smoker saying to use charcoal as fuel.
they are Not charcoal smokers - they nned to change the description.
Pecos had a problem with the lid warping/twisting on cook chamber - they added braces to the lid about 2 years ago.
Over n Under lid sometimes warped slightly so it didn't shut Well so they changed the lid to an overlapping lid and so it has a folded lip on edge that also Helps keep it from warping (kinda of like How Ribs Help strengthen lighter gauge metal).........

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=182649

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
These pics taken today. These 2 over n Unders were side by side. Old country has gone to easier Fab style but you get a wider grate that way........

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 07-21-2018 at 10:56 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #8
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
what firegrate did you go to?
So, I went a bit unconventional.

I got one of these: https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/out...dCatid=4263580 then I got this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...1417/204225783 and laid it over the top. I just have it all free-floating at the moment, but I intend to grab some stainless bolts/nuts/fender washers and permanently attach the expanded steel to the top of the grill grate in the very near future.

For 25 bucks and no welding, cutting, or any real effort, I'd call it a winner.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #9
SmittyJonz

you can take the stock firegrate and weld or bolt on an angle iron frame to it so it won't warp then cut the center out and bolt or weld in expanded metal. 2 pieces criss crossed 90* to each other is even Better.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
jimbotx
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Quote:
they are Not charcoal smokers - they nned to change the description.
Pecos had a problem with the lid warping/twisting on cook chamber - they added braces to the lid about 2 years ago.
Over n Under lid sometimes warped slightly so it didn't shut Well so they changed the lid to an overlapping lid and so it has a folded lip on edge that also Helps keep it from warping (kinda of like How Ribs Help strengthen lighter gauge metal)
Thanks for the info. Was at Academy yesterday and had hoped to see one, but my local only had the Smokehouse. Will say that I spent most of my time in the store looking at the Smokehouse.
jimbotx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbotx View Post
Thanks for the info. Was at Academy yesterday and had hoped to see one, but my local only had the Smokehouse. Will say that I spent most of my time in the store looking at the Smokehouse.
Burleson had 2 Over n Unders a cpl Days ago........

P.S.: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=220797

Old 07-22-2018, 12:04 AM   #12
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
you can take the stock firegrate and weld or bolt on an angle iron frame to it so it won't warp then cut the center out and bolt or weld in expanded metal. 2 pieces criss crossed 90* to each other is even Better.
Yeah, I weighed all my options, but for all the tons of tools I have, I don't have an angle grinder or welder (yet...workin on the missus) so it was just easier to spend 25 bucks and be done :P With this setup, if I build a decent fire and have the intakes all the way open it'll cruise at 400 no joke. Halfway open puts me around 275-300.

Couple more smokes to be a bit more comfortable runnin' a stick burner and I'll do my first brisket on it. So far, I can maintain the temp range I want for about 8 hrs before it starts goin haywire. Fortunately, if temps crash, I can toss some extra logs on it and hit it with the weed burner for a minute or two and get it back up plenty hot :D