Versatile charcoal cooker

2xal

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good evening brethren,
My old Weber kettle is getting retired to my parents pool yard and because of that I'm in the market for a versatile charcoal grille. I'm planning on getting another kettle but figured I'd ask to see if theres anything out there I haven't heard of that would be a better investment. It's used probably twice a week for high temp steaks, chicken, pork, etc. But also is used for low and slow a couple times a month. Toying with the idea of going with a BGE but not sure if it's worth the expense. I have a dedicated smoker for larger cooks, and a gas burner that I use for quick turnaround stuff. Thanks for any and all input!

I have a BGE, and it's been worth every penny and more. I also have a dedicated smoker, but the BGE gets lots of use as a hot, direct cooker as well as a low and slow indirect cooker.....as long as you're not trying to actually smoke.

I recommend a BGE if you want to step up.

How about a PK grill? It's a grilling machine and also does well on smoking smaller cuts of meat.

A Weber 26" is a nice way to go. Or maybe a 'redbox' smoker and a Habachi?

What sort of budget do you have and what are your requirements?

I'd say to be honest once you hit weber performer level there's not really anything "better", it's mostly side grades and preference. There are a ton of great options depending on your budget and preference. Personally....you'll have to pry my performer and 14.5WSM out of my dead hands. However, a 26" or a ranch kettle would be equally good options. If you could toss us a few bullet points on preferences and/or your rough budget I'm sure the brethren could give you much more specific recommendations.

A kamado may be the way to go. Also, Assasins grills seem to be very nice for multi-tasking.

I have neither, but both do what you want

Since you already have a dedicated smoker, I’d recommend a PK Grill or Weber 26. I own both and there equally good, the only difference is the Weber is much larger than the PK Classic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t forget the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. If you are considering a BGE, the WSCG is comparable in price and performance with some functional benefits.

Budget matters so depending on that and your capacity needs, a few options that come to mind:

26” Kettle
PK grill
Hasty Bake
M1
Assassin grill
One of many Kamados. I’m partial to Kamado Joe

I’m finding myself spending more time looking at the M1 and Hasty Bake recently.

I’m in the minority here, had a egg and sold it. Now I don’t mind different cookers and smokers, but I just like my weber but I wouldn’t mind having a nice grill with a elevator charcoal rack, something like that new Mak grill ......Egg’s are great for easy start and ash clean up, but if you overshoot temp or want to add wood it’s not the best.

If you want to use it year round in Mass, an insulated kamado would be a good choice. I wouldn’t pay BGE prices for what they give you, but a Kamado Joe in that price range, or a cheaper brand if your budget is tighter, is a great year round solution for us northerners. A 26” Weber is also a very strong option.

I wonder how the M1 would fare in cold weather...
I use Weber 22.5" kettles year round in Michigan. If it's windy, I use half a sheet of 1/2" plywood as a wind shield, otherwise I just burn a small amount more charcoal.

The Weber 26er is the perfect grill for grilling, smoking, baking.

Kamander if you can afford it. It grills and smokes no need to do the minion method. The air control is up top and it's hold temperature very well with little adjustment. It's a moist cooking environment and it's well sealed. Excellent cooker.

For a budget cooker with lots of cooking capacity a uds at less than $100 would be my pick

I use Weber 22.5" kettles year round in Michigan. If it's windy, I use half a sheet of 1/2" plywood as a wind shield, otherwise I just burn a small amount more charcoal.

I think southern get too worried. Ive grilled as low as teens with good results of. Weber, could probably go lower but I won't go outside sub 10 unless I have too

Back