Need help deciding Horizon or Lang 36 / 48?

K

ksmoker

Good morning.

I am new to this site but not new to smoking. I currently have a COS from Home Depot that I was looking to replace. I have narrowed down my choices to a 16" Horizon or a Lang smoker. I will be cooking for my self and family and on occasion friends and neighbors.

I like the Horizon, price is right and is made of 1/4" steel but I am leaning towards the Lang 36 or 48. I really like the features of the Langs not to mention the quality that comes with the name. I feel that a 48 will be a bit much for me both in cost, weight and size thus the 36 is what I am looking at. However I have yet to find any reviews or anyone on the forums that can comment on the 36. I have spoken to Ben Lang twice now who has been very helpful. My concern is the 11 gauge steel on the 36 and wether it will hold heat well enough to cook low and slow. The way Ben is seeling the units, it seems to be more for a grill / cooker that can heat up fast more than a low and slow smoker.

So the question is, does anyone know of anyone that has the Lang 36 and cooks low and slow? What do you think about 11 gauge stainless steel? I am sure it will be a huge upgrade from the COS that I currently have.

The 36 weighs 365lbs and the 48 weighs 795lbs. Can anyone who has a 36 or even a 48 chime in and let me know what you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi... thanx for the question.

I own a 48 patio... bought it before Ben started building the stainless 36. Have enjoyed every minute of it... if you are trying to determine a size... always opt for the bigger size... you'll find a use for it! There are many members here who use and treasure the Langs as a keepsake which is built so well... be sure to add it to your will.

It will outlive you.

Thank you for the reply.

How heavy is the 48? Is it hard to move around the 800lbs? I know 1/4" steel will last a lifetime and that the 48 would be flawless in regards to low and slow and heat retention however I have some concerns about the longevity and heat retention of 1/8" stainless. The price on the 36 can't be beat. It is half the cost and half the weight but I still get all Lang.

So, the question is, in your educated opinions, will 1/8" steel still be good enough to last over the years if not left to the elements and will it retain heat good enough to cook low and slow and not go through a cord of wood in the process?

Does the reverse flow cook faster with the 'drip pan' / baffle being so close to the cooking grate? I am trying to stick to a budget but then again, Mastercard has a generous limit. :becky: IF I go with the Lang 48, I'll just have to try to justify the extra $750 to the wifey. Any tips on that?

Thank you again for your help guys!

With the bigger unit you will be able to invite over more of her family:-D
And it was on sale:p
And did i mention i think you have lost some weight:-D
jon

I'm not an expert on Langs other than that I know they make a very respected product. I will say that you should get all the smoker you can - if there's a possibility of getting the 48, go for it. I've never heard anyone say they wish they had gotten a smaller smoker. I was in the same quandary when I was looking for a new smoker last year and went for one I thought was a little too big, but I use every bit of that thing and I'm glad I bit the bullet and got it.

Think of it as a long term investment - & if your wife is like mine, she'll eventually get over it - right about the time of the first cook!

I say go with the larger, I just bought a Lang 84 and will be leaving for Georgia in the morning gonna tow it home with me. I'm also getting to take Mryons class this weekend so hopefully it ill be a great weekend!

Def go larger! I have not even gotten to mess with mine and it was a xmas gift and still wish it was a 48! :)

Back