Cooked for a large party last weekend!(pron)

J-Rod

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is my first food pron post(pop goes the cherry!)

Did my first large cook for a fairly big gathering last weekend. It was a party celebrating the life of my brother-in-law who passed back in January, hosted out at my brother's farm. I got there around 9:30AM, and got cookin at 10. Decided to keep fairly simple with pulled pork and my smoked spinach-stuffed meatloaf. My brother also picked up about 10 Amish chickens, though they looked more like turkeys- they were HUGE! I helped him out a bit with those and beer-canned four on my drum grill while he deep fried the rest. He also had some venison tenderloins which he asked me to smoke- I've never dabbled in venison so I just threw 'em on the UDS with the rest of the meat! There was a crowd of about 50 friends and family there, and the food was all well received. I was pretty busy throughout the day but my lady got some photos along the way. Didn't get any of the finished meatloaf though- it pretty much disappeared in minutes! Pork came out great, and that went fast as well. The venison was a pleasant surprise too as I typically don't care for it, but this came out great and not gamey at all. Could be because it's pretty much corn fed since there's corn fields all over out there...
Overall everything went great and I had a blast cookin! Hope you enjoy the food pron:grin:

The butts-
IMG_2605Small.jpg

IMG_2631Small.jpg

The loaves, and my silly mug-
IMG_2616Small.jpg

Venison tenderloins-
IMG_2642Small.jpg

Juicy!
IMG_2643Small.jpg

The pork-
IMG_2638Small.jpg

My dad getting wild with the Bear claws!
IMG_2646Small.jpg

IMG_2648Small.jpg

IMG_2650Small.jpg

HUGE chickens!
IMG_2620Small.jpg

Peekin at the birds- I know, I know, if yer lookin ya ain't cookin:wink:
IMG_2636Small.jpg

My pipes are smokin!
IMG_2624Small.jpg

Smoke on my friends, and thanks for lookin!

Great Looking food.... Congratulations on a successful cook.

Looks great jrod. What do you put in your smoked meatloaf ?

Thanks man. The loaf is a mixture of ground round and ground pork, corn bread stuffing, a little bbq sauce, an egg, seasonings and then its spread out flat, topped with spinach and rolled up and sprinkled with pork rub. It usually takes about 3 hours in the smoker at 275-300*. I brush it with more sauce about a half hour before the end to make a nice glaze on top.

I serve it over mustard mash with a pan sauce made from the drippings-

IMG_2518Small.jpg

Great post! How much fun is it to cook for a big group (assuming you did well)? Go to bed with a smile. Nice job!

Sorry to hear about your brother in law. Looks like a great way to celebrate his life. :cool: Everything looks really good!!

Whoa, those are some big chickens. Nice cooking and nice cooker too.

Everything looks great. Sorry to hear about your BIL. Nice drum grill love the pipes. Looks like it's getting a little chilly up there.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Yeah we all had a lotta fun that day and it was definitely a party Eric would have really enjoyed. I'm sure he was there in spirit!

Love the up swepts on the grill and the Triumph jacket. I'm guessing you're a "all things hot rod" dude?

Love the up swepts on the grill and the Triumph jacket. I'm guessing you're a "all things hot rod" dude?

Ha thanks man! Yeah I like the hot rod stuff and I do ride a Triumph Bonneville... To quote Brando, "If you're gonna stay cool you got to wail!":grin:

Back