Tomato Pie

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I don't have photos online yet (I'll add one tonight), but I've been asked for the recipe to tomato pie. It's on my blog.
But here is the same recipe, without all my ramblings:

4-5 med sized, peeled, fresh tomatoes (not Romas)
2 tsp sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried tarragon
1 1/2 cups grated mild cheddar cheese
3/4 cup real mayonaise
Saltines

Slice the tomatoes in medium to thin slices (I prefer thin) and lay in a 9" pie pan evenly. Sprinkle the top with the sugar, salt, pepper and herbs.

Mix the cheese and mayo so that the cheese is somewhat spreadable, and spread the mixture over the tomatoes.

Crush the crackers and sprinkle the crumbs evenly over the cheeses to form something of a 'crust' (it may take a little over half a sleeve of crackers, or more if you like more 'crust').

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, let it set, and enjoy.

To take out the watery-ness, lay the tomato slices on paper towels first, with a touch of salt, and let them drain away for 15 minutes.

Another way to make this is to use a regular pie crust, baked for 10 minutes at 400, with no cracker on top.. For this method, get as much water out of the tomatoes as you can first.

That's the first I ever heard of it... she's from SC, which is, supposedly, where it came from. First time I saw it on her show, I thought it looked and sounded horrible!

Thanks for the recipe Curt. I've got a greenhouse full of tomatoes, basil, oregano and tarragon so I'm all set.

I've cooked sweet onion pies and quiche in my Egg and they turn out mighty good. Might have to give one of these a try too. Most things with cheese, tomato or tomato sauce like pizza, lasagna etc, come out with that "brick oven flavor".

Here are a couple of pics:

tompie.jpg

tomslice.jpg

time for a new monitor this one didnt taste to good tried to get a bite of that pie, thanks for sharing Curt

I wore a hole in my LCD trying to do a scratch and sniff.
Guess I'll just have to make one myself and see.

Looks real good Curt. Recipe sounds a lot like a deal my mom used to make way back when. She made it in a baking pan, and called it tomato casserole. Good stuff. Always making it when the garden tomatoes were overwhelming us in late summer.
I got to try your version, makes my mouth water.

We had BLT's tonight... I'm thinking some crumbled bacon would be a good addition to the tomato pie!

Curt, you are a genius. Bacon would be perfect.

Do you think that would work with fresh mozzarella, or is that cheese too wet?

CD

The pics are not showing up for me. Did I forget to pay my pr0n bill?

CD

That sound good ,have all the herbs in my herb garden, might try it when my tomatoes come in

Oh for fark sakes! Those pics are driving me NUTS! I gotta get me one of these.

Mozz doesn't have the right flavor for this, I don't think.. I love mozz and tomato, but the cheddar is needed.

CD, there aren't any photos here, and it appears someone has tried to use my old blog address... I just contacted Typepad about it. Try this instead: http://livefireonline.com/2007/09/06/tomato-pie/

Oh, that does look good.

Do you serve it hot off the grill, or let it set up a bit, like a quiche?

CD

You can serve it right away.. there's nothing to set up like the eggs in a quiche.

Back