What to dp with spare rib trimming

kennyd0118

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi all.
I just made some ribs tonight and prep'd the to make ST Louise Ribs.
My question is what do you all do with the meat you trimmed off?
I know a lot of people make beans with it but I'd rather find some way to smoke or grill them?
What do you all do with the trimming?

Thanks
-Kenny

Smoke them along with ribs and eat them or use the picked through meat for baked beans.

Thanks.
I think I'll do a rub and smoke.
I'd like to start making sausage but that is down the road a bit.
Thanks,
-Kenny

I agree with Randbo. Just watch them carefully so they don't dry out on you. If you don't have an immediate use for them, you could remove the cartilage and freeze them for late use. I'm gonna start doing this sine I'm interested in trying it in chili, soups and Jambalaya. I think the sweet cherry smoke flavor will be a nice compliment, especially for the chili.

I put mine in my baked beans,its also good in green beans or collard greens too

Rib trimings

I cook them in my pressure cooker for about 15 minutes and let cool
Remove cartilage and other bones
Then I use the broth and picked over meat for beans, Usually small white beans.Very rich and delicious.

Last edited:
I never trim Pork Ribs. The meat is too good to use for anything other than Ribs.

This seems like an awful lot of meat to put into a crock pot.
I am probably misstating the part of the ribs that I'm talking about. I am a rib noob.
When I trimmed the full rack into a ST Louise cut, there is a large piece of meat that
is removed by bending the ribs to see where the bone ends and cutting along that line.
My guess is almost half the meat was in this cut away section.
From what I have read, this needs to be trimmed because the cooking time is different then the Rib cooking time, not because it not good eats.
My plan now is to smoke them low and slow and either eat as is or pull them and make a smoked pork chili of some kind.
Thanks,
-Kenny

I usually smoke them at the same time or grill them as a snack while the ribs are cooking.

I never trim Pork Ribs. The meat is too good to use for anything other than Ribs.

Now I'm confused. If they are not trimmed does the meat with the bone get over cooked? How do you serve them if they are in one piece? Do you just cut through the lateral bone or cut them along the bone like prepoing for ST Louise but after cooking?
Thanks,
-Kenny

Now I'm confused. If they are not trimmed does the meat with the bone get over cooked? How do you serve them if they are in one piece? Do you just cut through the lateral bone or cut them along the bone like prepoing for ST Louise but after cooking?
Thanks,
-Kenny

Here's a link to a thread with pics that I did some time ago. The Pork Ribs
are untrimmed....except for the flap meat from the back side. Once in awhile
I trim it off so I can cook it quickly...for a snack, while the Ribs continue to
cook, lower & slower. The other piece of rib trimming you see there is from
the end of the slab. If the slab is too long to fit on my grill sideways, I will
trim off a few inches so it will fit on the grill better.

In the picture of them cut apart on the plate, you can see that the very
tip where the meat tapers to a point; the edge can sometimes get a
little "crispy"....but not burned.

It's all about personal preference....if you like them cut "St. Louis" style,
then cook them that way. Don't worry about what other people think or
say....just cook everything the way YOU like. Your taste buds are the
only ones that matter..:thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68076

When I used my drum grill I never cut them either,
100_7033.jpg

When I started using the smoker I learned the joy of having meat to sample before the ribs were done.

Here's a link to a thread with pics that I did some time ago. The Pork Ribs
are untrimmed....except for the flap meat from the back side. Once in awhile
I trim it off so I can cook it quickly...for a snack, while the Ribs continue to
cook, lower & slower. The other piece of rib trimming you see there is from
the end of the slab. If the slab is too long to fit on my grill sideways, I will
trim off a few inches so it will fit on the grill better.

In the picture of them cut apart on the plate, you can see that the very
tip where the meat tapers to a point; the edge can sometimes get a
little "crispy"....but not burned.

It's all about personal preference....if you like them cut "St. Louis" style,
then cook them that way. Don't worry about what other people think or
say....just cook everything the way YOU like. Your taste buds are the
only ones that matter..:thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68076

Very nice. I see how you serve them now. From AmazingRibsDotcom I see that the part of the rib I'm talking bout is called the Rib Tips.
BTW, the ribs came out awesome. My BGE table is still under construction so they were cooked in the oven @300 for ~4 hours with a dry rub the one was sauced for the misses and put back in at 400 for about 10 minutes.
Can't wait to try again on the BGE.
Thanks for the help,
-Kenny

I cook the rib tips alongside the ribs and I use them to experiment on by using different rubs, sauces and/or braising liquids. It's fun to watch my friends to and discern all the different flavors used.

I usually smoke them with the ribs for like an hour or so. Otherwise I will trim all the meat around the bones off and grind it up into ground pork.

Last time I putting the rib trimmings aside for a couple of days and then the next chance I got I seared them on my kettle before I cooked dinner. Then the next day I gave them 3-4 hours in a slowcooker with caramelized onions and sauerkraut. I've done the rib tips and kraut a couple of times now. Works perfect since my family of four gets 2 different meals and couple of lunches from one cryopac of two spares.

Back