Pastrami from a corned beef. What I learned w/ Q-view

Yup you guessed it I will be making pastrami for the family this month for the first time. I'm wondering how it will go down at the pub. Thanks for the pictures and the recipe's.

Funny enough I was having a Magners Saturday night...

drbm2s.jpg

I have fine tuned this. I made another pastrami yesterday and it was even better. I smoke till it hit 160, wrapped in foil and removed at 180. let it rest re-wrapped and put in the fridge over nite. flipping awesome.
found the juniper berries. my coffee grinder was able to grind them fine. still not sure if it i like it better w/ the berries but it is different.

progress.gif

I've been doing a foil finish and I really like the results. I call it "wet pastrami". If you have a pressure cooker, you can take this whole thing one step further. You use it instead of finishing in foil. I recently updated the pastrami page on my site with the pressure finish details.

DSC04448g.jpg

A big thanks for all your info, Thirdeye. I've been using your guide to pastrami for a while now and it works great. I made one yesterday from a cb that I picked up LAST St Patrick's Day (got buried in freezer...). Came out great - I did the 'wet' finish. Foiled it at around 170, took it to 185, let rest for 90 min, wrapped in foil and put in fridge. Tasty!!

Mike

Attachments

• pastrami.jpg
    pastrami.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 83
I think i may try wrapping at 160, removing at 180, the putting it back on to dry it up a little bit. kind a like 3-2-1 method for ribs

Back