THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
I had defrosted a pork butt with the intention of cooking it on Sunday but got so wrapped up in cooking for the "Mini" throwdown I didn't get around to it. I really wasn't keen on refreezing it and don't have time during this week to pull off a late night cook session. Therefore, I decided to go with some Char Siu (chinese bbq pork) which is a much shorter cook.

Last night I cut out the bone from the butt and then cut the 6+ lbs of shoulder into about 2" wide strips:
IMG_9571.jpg

then put the strips into a zip lock bag along with a couple jars of store bought char-siu sauce and a bottle of hoisin sauce:
IMG_9572.jpg

Tonight I got the OTP kettle fired up around 300 degrees with a couple chunks of cherry wood, put on the pork, drizzled on a little honey and brown sugar:
IMG_9577.jpg

I flipped the pieces about every 25 minutes each time adding honey & brown sugar to the side facing up. After about an hour at 300 I increased the temps to the 350-375 range and after 75 minutes of total cook time they were looking pretty good (IT was in the 175-185 range depending on the thickness of each piece):
IMG_9586.jpg

IMG_9592.jpg

I pulled them and let them rest for a few minutes and then sliced a couple of pieces:
IMG_9602.jpg

IMG_9605.jpg

I really ought to cook this more often.

Thanks for looking!

I haven't heard of this before...looks delicious...can you describe the taste, i.e., sweet, spicy, etc. Also, can the ingredients be found other than in a Chinese food store? Thanks

I sooo want to make these!

I read that you marinated them overnight. Have you ever tried for a shorter period? My thought was to marinate them starting around noon and then cook them up around 6pm. Too short a time? Thanks

This is how I do them on my BGE.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787628&catid=1

This is a recipe I developed years ago when working in a chinese restaurant.

Sauce, BBQ, Red Pork Roast, Char Sui INGREDIENTS:
3 Cups Chinese Wine
3 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Soy Sauce,
Light beer
4 Cups Ketchup
1 Cup Hoisin Sauce
1/2 Cup Salt
1/2-1 Cup Red Food Coloring
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
1/4 Cup Hot Chili Oil
Procedure: 1 Mix all in a 5 gallon bucket. Will marinate 8 Pork Butts and 20 slabs of ribs.
Recipe Type BBQ Sauce/Sauce
Recipe Source Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe, 1994/05/25

Sounds simple and looks phabulous!!

I am going to try this with some country style ribs...making it even easier to make.

I haven't heard of this before...looks delicious...can you describe the taste, i.e., sweet, spicy, etc. Also, can the ingredients be found other than in a Chinese food store? Thanks

These sauces are on the sweet side. I don't recall seeing these sauces at grocers other than Asian grocers but you should be able to find ingredients to put together your own marinade at the local grocer. Take a look at Woodmonkey's recipe (below). I have a similar recipe somewhere I can try to dig up but like the below, it calls for hoisin sauce which might be hard to find at your grocer.

I read that you marinated them overnight. Have you ever tried for a shorter period? My thought was to marinate them starting around noon and then cook them up around 6pm. Too short a time? Thanks

You can go a shorter time but I don't think the flavor is as strong. I just looked at one of the bottles now and it says "Marinate 16 oz pork with 5 tbsp sauce for 2 hrs...".

This is how I do them on my BGE.

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787628&catid=1

This is a recipe I developed years ago when working in a chinese restaurant.

Sauce, BBQ, Red Pork Roast, Char Sui INGREDIENTS:
3 Cups Chinese Wine
3 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Soy Sauce,
Light beer
4 Cups Ketchup
1 Cup Hoisin Sauce
1/2 Cup Salt
1/2-1 Cup Red Food Coloring
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Sesame Oil
1/4 Cup Hot Chili Oil
Procedure: 1 Mix all in a 5 gallon bucket. Will marinate 8 Pork Butts and 20 slabs of ribs.
Recipe Type BBQ Sauce/Sauce
Recipe Source Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe, 1994/05/25

I'll need to try your recipe sometime Richard! I like the rack Thirdeye made for you. I'm trying to design a rack for my XL Egg so I can hang char siu.

Back