Pork Loin Roast - Ideas?

High Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Mrs. Q is cleaning out the freezer and she came across a 2 1/2 pound pork loin roast that she wants me to cook for dinner tomorrow. It's enhanced (lovely).

I'm soaking the roast in cold water now in hopes of washing down the enhancement. I'll leave it in the fridge tonight to dry and will put it on the grill/smoker sometime late afternoon.

Barring any better ideas from y'all, I plan to rub it down with some olive oil and some pork rub I have on hand. I'll cook it semi-direct on the UDS at 275 or so until the internal temp gets to 140-145.

Sound like a plan? Any better ideas? I'll post a report tomorrow.

I've got nothing better, really. Another option is to dice it up in big chunks and make kabobs, but I don't think that's better necessarily better.

That sounds like a good plan. If you want to go 'fancy', you could take a fatty and shape it into a cylinder about 1" diameter and the length of the roast and freeze it and then make an X lengthwise in the roast and stuff the fatty into the roast and then cook. You would have to cook it to 165 because of the sausage but the fat from the sausage will help keep the pork moist.

I've got nothing better, really. Another option is to dice it up in big chunks and make kabobs, but I don't think that's better necessarily better.

Good idea. I never do a good job with kabobs so will probably go with the indirect cook and slice it. The kids generally like pork chops so this should be in the ball park - will probably only get one or two 'Ewwww's out of four.

That sounds like a good plan. If you want to go 'fancy', you could take a fatty and shape it into a cylinder about 1" diameter and the length of the roast and freeze it and then make an X lengthwise in the roast and stuff the fatty into the roast and then cook. You would have to cook it to 165 because of the sausage but the fat from the sausage will help keep the pork moist.

Thanks Ron. Good idea. I may look at what I have on hand to stuff it and help with the moisture.

Pork loin is so lean -- I think you have it right. If you cook it too long, it will dry out on you. I like your plan. :thumb:

CD

These were moist but I would make one allotment. I have a new way of cutting and stuffing them now. What I do it... well Imagine your doing an autopsy on JFK fater he died and you need to pull back the scalp a bit. I now trim about 1/2 or under of the fat cap but fold it back... then I cut a slit (not going to the ends) into the cut lengthwise and stretch it out a bit. It take a nice helping of stuffing. THEN I fold over the top (fatty part) and tie. This way when the puppies start to weep out they do not pour out their moisture. Its a mechanic stop to the leaking I had. Less messy to... so imagine you are simply making a boat with JFK scalp over it. I am not sure about that analogy... if someone else has a good analogy just let me know.

You'er a ****ing genius but like Einstein, I don't have a clue what your are talking about.
JFK scalp? What about the grassy knoll, how does that fit in?

You'er a ****ing genius but like Einstein, I don't have a clue what your are talking about.
JFK scalp? What about the grassy knoll, how does that fit in?

LOL well obviously anyone would know that grassy knoll would be "KCBS Presentation" or parsley clippings to be precise. Which has no place in Texas. LOL:p

Pork loin is one of my favorite meats to cook on my weber, and I love a certain prep I do for them as well. I make a paste, and rub it all over the loin and let sit at least 4 hours in the fridge in a plastic wrap or bag. I semi sear the roast, then let it sit indirect till it comes to 140. I pull, lightly tent for 10 minutes. It always comes out with an awesome crust. I also make a fresh Cuban Mojo, and serve this in a bowl and let folks spoon what they want over the meat. It makes a nice contrast to the salty crust.

Also at times depending who I make it for I take several more cloves of garlic and slice them thin long way. Then I make slits in the pork and stuff em in on top. You can see them in the photo below. You can put less salt in, but the idea is that this is to be salty that is cut by the mojo.

Garlic Paste
5 large garlic cloves
3 Tbs EVOO
3 Tbs cider vin
2 Tbs dried oregano
1 Tbs black pepper fresh ground
1 Tbs salt
*I blend all of this in a mini food processor till it is a paste consistency

MOJO SAUCE
1 cup fresh oj and zest of the orange without pith
1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
1/3 cup fine diced onion
2 Tbs white vin
1 small serrano minced(no seeds)
1 garlic clove fine diced
1 tsp sugar
*salt to taste(remembering there is a lot of salt in the paste)
**right before serving add 3 Tbs fresh chopped cilantro

This is a modified recipe from Jamie Purviance's book, WEBER's way to grill.

Pork with sauce
pporkloin5-10.jpg

Sliced
porkloin60jpg0.jpg

Rub with favorite rub, sear on all sides in cast iron skillet. Deglaze the skillet with white wine... or fav beer. Put the meat back in and put the skillet and all on the pit with indirect heat 350-400, add water if necessary till desired doneness. make some gravy from the dripping.... oooo la la, good good eatin!

I really appreciate everybody's suggestions. I've got the roast out there rolling now. I tried to keep it relatively simple and avoided stuffing. I made up a glaze last night of balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, dijon mustard, garlic and a little EVOO. I slathered some on and wrapped it overnight in the fridge. I put on the kettle rotisserie about an hour ago. On it's first couple of revolutions, I sprinkled a large grain seasoning mix on it (kosher salt, large grain pepper, Montreal Steak). Depending on how that progresses, I plan to put some more of the glaze on it as it finishes and go over it lightly with a complimentary seasoning (to be determined).

She's rolling - I'll let you know what comes next.

DSC_0363-1.jpg

I suggest pulling it off at 135, then wrapping and resting for minimum 30 minutes. It'll continue to raise in temp, and settle in right around 144-145 when ready to serve.

Sure, you may not get the same type of bark pulling it early, but the meat will knock your socks off.

Interesting thing happened on the way to the grill.....

I put the loin on the rotisserie and went about my chores. The kettle was running 400 or so when I put it on but I got it down to 300 or so in about 10 minutes. At one hour, I checked, all's well. I put some more glaze on.

Mrs Q and the kids came home about 15m later and I thought I better check to see the IT. I whipped out my lightening fast green thermapen and got readings over 170! FARK!

I went inside and got the foil, When I grabbed the meat, it felt okay from a doneness point of view but I was still afeared I had ruint it. I wrapped it tight in foil until supper time about 45m to 1h later (wasn't expecting it to be overdone so quick). When I unwrapped it there was a fair amount of juice in the foil. When I sliced, it still looked/felt good.

DSC_0364-1.jpg

We cut it up and served with oven potatoes and some fruit. Just a simple Sunday night dinner. Q3 (the 5yo girl that doesn't eat meat) said it tasted like chicken nugget meat - that's high praise. My wife liked it too. I thought it was a little salty (enhancement coming through). It could have used some more rub or a bolder glaze in my view but the other 5 Qs ate it up.

So, all in all, it worked out fine. Thanks again for all the help.

Good job for your attempt... and you got HIGH praise from your child!:-D I know the chicken mcnugget comparison is them saying.. "daddy I love it!" Just an FYI, for my loins, I do not think I ever go past 30 minutes.. or not much more if I do. If you need to walk away from the grill area, set your watch, phone, microwave, or an old time kitchen timer to keep you in the reminding state. There will be plenty more to get it EXACTLY where you want it.. and you will.

Other night I was making sauce, got caught up in something else, and it was miraculous that I remembered to go back!

Yes, lean meat cooks a lot faster than fatty meat. A typical 3 lb center cut pork loin will be up to 135 in less than 1.5 hours at 300 F. in my UDS. And that's pulling the loin straight out from the fridge to the smoker.

Gotta watch 'em like hawk.

Back