MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
DeoreDX
Got Wood.

Default Smoke add anything to a Prime Rib?

Personally I've always done my prime rib in the oven. I do the low temp roast rest then end sear after resting.

I'm curious how an oven roasted prime rib would compare to one done on the smoker. I'm thinking something light like Pecan, not to overpower or ruin the flavor of the beef. Does it add anything to the prime rib experience? Or is the prime rib good enough on it's own w/o smoke?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

for me, I prefer good beef roasts to be done in the oven or a smoke wood free live fire. I don't want anything to detract from the taste of the big bold cut of beef I picked up.
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Until last year all of my prime ribs were done in the oven. Then I tried one in my GOSM using JD oak chips. Loved it. I've since been doing them on my kettle with either the JD or apple to very satisfactory results. For me, as to the smoke, there is no distraction, more of an enhancment...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Absolutely adds a smokey component. You don't have to worry much about it taking on too much smoke since it is a thick cut of meat that is cooked for a much shorter amount of time as compared to a brisket or butt. With that being said, I wouldn't load up the smoker with a super strong wood and hammer it with smoke but if you use pecan like you mentioned, you should be very happy with the results.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
bigabyte

I think smoke helps every beef roast when done right, and I was raised on oven roasted beef roasts. I suppose like any tastes, it's a personal thing for some.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm thinking of doing my Christmas prime rib 1-1.5 hours @ 225 in the FEC-100 (the outdoor oven) and then transferring it into a preheated oven to finish. Hoping to add just a hint of smokiness.

Or is this just a waste?
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

The answer to both your questions is yes:
Yes, Prime Rib is good enough on its own w/o smoke
Yes, smoke adds to the prime rib experience.

I love prime rib from the oven, but the best prime rib I've had has been smoked. I like a nice chunk of oak. For months I've been looking forward to this Saturday.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle corn View Post
I'm thinking of doing my Christmas prime rib 1-1.5 hours @ 225 in the FEC-100 (the outdoor oven) and then transferring it into a preheated oven to finish. Hoping to add just a hint of smokiness.

Or is this just a waste?
Personally, it seems like extra work (I'm lazy). I'd do the whole thing outdoors. It's not that much extra smoke and the smoke goes very well with the roast.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
gtr

It's a totally subjective thing. Both are great in their own right. I'd say try it smoked & if it doesn't work for you, do it in the oven for subsequent cooks.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 02:28 PM   #10
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
It's a totally subjective thing. Both are great in their own right. I'd say try it smoked & if it doesn't work for you, do it in the oven for subsequent cooks.
Good advice, I'd buy two roasts and do one each way to compare.

I prefer mine over hickory and only use one or two fist sized chunks so it doesn't get over smoked. I do a quick sear then go indirect for a 2-3 hours until done. That gives me plenty of time to down a few brews to get ready to deal with my mother in law
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #11
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

I love prime rib done on the rotissire on my gasser. The only thing better is when you cut it up into steaks and do em over charcoal as hot as you can get it.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
Bentley
Babbling Farker

I like it cooked with hardwood, I think your choice of Pecan is good. I plan on a mix of Black Walnut and Pecan.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
DC-Q
Full Fledged Farker

I only do them outside. So far only on the Traegers but next one will be on the drum.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #14
imaisufan
On the road to being a farker

Smoke, no smoke; pecan, hickory; these are all great suggestions. However, I believe the most useful piece of advice in this thread is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
That gives me plenty of time to down a few brews to get ready to deal with my mother in law
Because she's a pain in the arse.
imaisufan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #15
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

A little clean burning oak would be my preference.

Tags
Rib Roast