Dr. Chickens Double Smoked Ham Question

Mooner

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have bookmarked the Dr. Chicken ham recipe and decided to try it out for easter instead of spending 80.00 at Honey Baked Ham. My first question is where in Kansas City do you guys go to get a good ham (for those of you who live here) what type, size etc. Secondly, does anyone have any suggestions other than what the recipe states? Any help would be appreciated. My family said if I fark it up their gonna burn me at the stake. I'll be cooking it on my Good-One patio smoker

I cut back on the orange extract. There is a correction to the original recipe around here somewhere.

Can't help with the ham as far as where to buy. But wrap the hell out of it with plastic wrap before infecting. Or inject in the wrapper it comes in, keeps the mess minimal

Can't help with the ham as far as where to buy. But wrap the hell out of it with plastic wrap before infecting. Or inject in the wrapper it comes in, keeps the mess minimal

Oh yeah! A must do.

As long as you listen to Kevin and brdbbq, you can't go wrong :biggrin: Seriously, I did this for the first time at Christmas, and it turned out perfect. But I will wrap the chit out of it next time, cause I had a hell of a mess after injecting.

gary

I cut back on the orange extract. There is a correction to the original recipe around here somewhere.

Yeah, I saw that on one of your posts and noted it. Do you only use half or what?

I guess the most important thing is where can I get a ham?? lol

I'm doing to same thing for Easter. I have all of my extracts but am afraid all I will be able to find are Smithfield hams. I have read they come out too salty.

Can't wait to try this though...

I'd like to try this as well but probably too late to run down the extracts for Easter. Maybe I'll run up to Brent's and borrow some :)...and a beer or two as well.

I'd like to try this as well but probably too late to run down the extracts for Easter. Maybe I'll run up to Brent's and borrow some :)...and a beer or two as well.

Just come on up and join us for Easter dinner!!!

By the way, as posted by another brother, I ordered my extracts from http://www.qualityextracts.com/

It saved me a few dollars and they were here in 3 days.

Just come on up and join us for Easter dinner!!!

By the way, as posted by another brother, I ordered my extracts from http://www.qualityextracts.com/

It saved me a few dollars and they were here in 3 days.

Would do that if I didn't have family coming to my place. :grin: I think I will order and try to get in time. Did you ever find a ham?

I guess the most important thing is where can I get a ham?? lol

Wally world,Costco, probably anywhere you can get a good price on one. In the version of the recipe I have, he says to cut the orannge extract in half OR use 1 Tbsp. of orange Juice concentrate.

Hope this helps,
gary

I looked on Costco's website and all they showed was a boneless ham. I probably just need to go look. Im bein lazy and hopin someone will just tell me where to go to buy the damn ham...:evil:

Would do that if I didn't have family coming to my place. :grin: I think I will order and try to get in time. Did you ever find a ham?

Not yet... I am waiting for the grocery store flyers to come out this week. That should narrow my choices. Winn Dixie had the Smithfield 1/2 shanks on sale last week. I will get that if I have to.

Back