Rib cook in progress on the Assassin

unixadm

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I'm cooking two racks of baby backs because they were on-sale cheap. One had two fused rib bones, so I cut those two bones out. :)

Seasoned the split rack with Big Poppa's Sweet Money and the other with SM Sweet Seduction after trimming excess fat, rinsing and rubbing down with a coat of yellow mustard. I added a little extra turbinado sugar to both because I like the ribs to have a sweet profile.

Today was a fun day because I wrapped up getting my Stoker WIFI into a protective case:

20140111_160027.jpg

20140111_160055.jpg

I then built my new stainless prep table I order from Amazon for the patio. The height is perfect for me - not sure why I didn't buy one years ago! I also decided to try out the new Bose Mini BT speaker my parents gave me yesterday for a late Christmas gift while prepping the ribs. A little Pandora goes a long way. Truly impressive sound from such a small speaker and I don't normally drink the Bose Kool-aid:

20140112_094404.jpg

Smoking today with some fresh peach and post oak from Fruita Wood:

20140112_095700.jpg

Ribs are on. Using the bottom rack to get the most amount of heat into the ribs with the lowest set point:

20140112_100529.jpg

Stoker WIFI is running the show at 250 degrees:

screen-capture-32.png

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to foil wrap them or not.

Very nice = please let us know how your stoker works out and if you decided to wrap or not and why.

Hey guys. I'm not wrapping the ribs and they are just about done. I sauced/glazed them with some Rufus Teague Touch O’ Heat mixed with a little apple juice.

As for the Stoker, it works great. It can aggressively get the cooker up to temperature and the damper in the fan really prevents overshooting temps very much. The base Stoker interface is really basic, setup is tricky and if you want something easier to run, go with the CyberQ. However I firmly believe that the performance and capabilities of this unit make it a better controller. I use Stoker-Web which runs on a Linux virtual server I have (same one hosting my pictures). It connects to the Stoker and provides the fancier and easier to use UI. There's also an Android app for Stoker-Web which I use to monitor and alert on my phone/tablets. Happy to help anyone get things going if necessary.

I added a tribute to the Assassin 28 today in the form of my very close uncle's name who passed away just before Christmas. I bought the Assassin 28 to cheer myself up and I have not named it "Clyde" in memory of him. A few minutes on the computer and I had this:

20140112_143545.jpg

Ribs about three hours in...

20140112_130947.jpg

All done:

20140112_145520.jpg

20140112_145742.jpg

Cooked perfectly - tender, moist but not quite fall off the bone. I preferred the Sweet Seduction ribs.

Smokiness was light but I expected that with the peach wood.

oh come on now... you only need the smoker. Toys might be fun to play with but the smoker and the cook make the Q.

What I meant was I already have an Assassin. Now that you mention it, the way my brisket flat turned out yesterday I'll take the cook too. LOL.

Back