MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
How far are you from Flanders? The Tractor Supply has this on sale right now.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...2?cm_vc=-10005

TSC Store #1155
293 US HWY 206
FLANDERS, NJ
US 07836
(973) 252-2925
Not close to Flanders but close to Sussex where we have a Tractor Supply,
northernrescue3321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrescue3321 View Post
Not close to Flanders but close to Sussex where we have a Tractor Supply,
Just checked. They have the Royal Oak briquettes in stock and on sale. Also call the Ace hardware in Milford, PA and see if they have or can get Wicked good weekend warrior charcoal.

Ace Hardware
475 Route 6 and 209
Milford, PA 18337
TheJackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #18
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Just checked. They have the Royal Oak briquettes in stock and on sale. Also call the Ace hardware in Milford, PA and see if they have or can get Wicked good weekend warrior charcoal.

Ace Hardware
475 Route 6 and 209
Milford, PA 18337
Thanks man, going to be up that way on Sat, going to have to stop by

Old 06-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #19
eggzlot
Take a breath!

I only use lump for my egg, so if you are looking for lump, are you near a Restaurant Depot? If so, you can get the Red Royal Oak bags for under $10 for $17lbs. I used to get Wicked Good from Ace, but they stopped selling it and my local Ace guys are out of stock (cant find it on their website either). Also, if you order 10 bags (100 lbs) you can get free shipping on this high quality lump: http://www.grillstuff.com/ozark-oak-...productid=4441

For supplies, not a ton of places in the area, but you can check out Chef Central on Rt 17 in Paramus. There used to be a place near Whippany called Hometown Home and Hearth, but their website seems to show that store may have closed down. Modern Propane has some grilling stuff set up for seasonal displays as well. Most supplies I wind up ordering online.

For wood, I order online. The chunks or chips I find in the stores are garage. I use fruita wood chunks for chunks and Maine Grilling woods for cedar boards for fish and veggies.

Spices - spicesinc.com is in PA but like 5 mins from the NJ border, so shipping is really fast and cheap (and sometimes free if you order enough). Always high quality fresh spices.

Hope that helps
eggzlot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

resturant store by me always has royal oak lump and bricks, in addition to a few other types.

pottstown and fleetwood, have a feed mill called fm browns i think they carry humphry lump.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #21
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggzlot View Post
I only use lump for my egg, so if you are looking for lump, are you near a Restaurant Depot? If so, you can get the Red Royal Oak bags for under $10 for $17lbs. I used to get Wicked Good from Ace, but they stopped selling it and my local Ace guys are out of stock (cant find it on their website either). Also, if you order 10 bags (100 lbs) you can get free shipping on this high quality lump: http://www.grillstuff.com/ozark-oak-...productid=4441

For supplies, not a ton of places in the area, but you can check out Chef Central on Rt 17 in Paramus. There used to be a place near Whippany called Hometown Home and Hearth, but their website seems to show that store may have closed down. Modern Propane has some grilling stuff set up for seasonal displays as well. Most supplies I wind up ordering online.

For wood, I order online. The chunks or chips I find in the stores are garage. I use fruita wood chunks for chunks and Maine Grilling woods for cedar boards for fish and veggies.

Spices - spicesinc.com is in PA but like 5 mins from the NJ border, so shipping is really fast and cheap (and sometimes free if you order enough). Always high quality fresh spices.

Hope that helps
Deff Thanks!

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #22
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Thought I would add another NJ question to this thread. My buddy is over an hour away from my in Kinnelon. He just got into backyard smoking. He cannot get into Restaurant Depot. Some of the big places like costco or bj's do not carry whole packer briskets. What are some good meat suppliers for the backyard cook in North Jersey? I told him to open an account at LaFrieda's (we have one) and he laughed at me. Any good butchers or meat purveyors near Kinnelon other than BJ's, Costco, or Sam's?

Old 06-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
Hi Cheese
Knows what a fatty is.

I can't find SQUAT for large or exotic cuts in Jersey. You can get stuff ordered in if you call a butcher ahead of time. But just walking into a butcher shop in Jersey looking for that is probably a no-go. It's hard for me to find veal shank or lamb shoulder (un cut).
Hi Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #24
TheJackal
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Cheese View Post
I can't find SQUAT for large or exotic cuts in Jersey. You can get stuff ordered in if you call a butcher ahead of time. But just walking into a butcher shop in Jersey looking for that is probably a no-go. It's hard for me to find veal shank or lamb shoulder (un cut).
I can get what I want by me. Kinnelon I have no idea about however. Yes, sometimes you have to tell the butcher in advance. For example, Hind and Fore in Bridgewater can get you almost anything you want as long as you give them enough notice.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
northernrescue3321
Knows what a fatty is.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Thought I would add another NJ question to this thread. My buddy is over an hour away from my in Kinnelon. He just got into backyard smoking. He cannot get into Restaurant Depot. Some of the big places like costco or bj's do not carry whole packer briskets. What are some good meat suppliers for the backyard cook in North Jersey? I told him to open an account at LaFrieda's (we have one) and he laughed at me. Any good butchers or meat purveyors near Kinnelon other than BJ's, Costco, or Sam's?
I got this one!!!
Your buddy and I are practically neighbors!!

I go to one of four places depending on how much I need, and if one does have something I will try the next.

The first and my personal favorite is where I get my brisket from always.

Wayne Meat Comp
2234 Hamburg Tpke Wayne, NJ 07470.
http://wayne.patch.com/listings/wayne-meat-corp

This place is awesome especially if you need large quanities. The brisket is the same price as Restaurant Depot, some times cheaper. Due to time constraints with this cook I had them trim and separate the brisket for me total cost was $3/ lb, which compared to others is about 2-3 /lb less. I try to use these guys only for large quantities just because of the fact that it is a distributer vs a store. Just a heads up it will looked close when you pass by it and you have to keep an eye open but its there and in buisness.

The next place is
The Meeting Place
1267 Ringwood Ave, Haskell (Wanaque) NJ
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-M...55020244537198

Small shop may not have stuff in stock but can get anything you need. This guy has become my day to day supplier for smaller quantities. Im getting some pork Belly from this guy for about 4-5/lb and I also picked up some Rib Eyes, (getting ready to cook em) for about $12/ lb, hand cut to my order.

Up on the tour next is

Sussex Meat Packing
205 State Rt 23, Wantage, NJ
http://www.sussexmeatpacking.com/

This place is a good one have been going to for years before I move in with my Wife. Great staff, prices, and knowledgeable about their trade.

The last one is

Farmview Pork Store
126 Wanaque Ave, Pompton Lakes, NJ
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Farm-...43476019016670

Place is nice, little place, the guy is knowledgeable, but this is probably the priciest of the bunch. Got St. Louis Cut Ribs, Cryopacked for $7/lb. This one while good, just due to prices will be further down on my lst and my last ditch effort joint.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #26
DBH
On the road to being a farker

I'm in Northwest NJ also. Looking for lump, you are kinda out of luck right now. I use to get Wicked Good drop shipped to the ACE in Port, but they do not do that anymore. Luckily I still have like 15 bags left. I'm probably going to check into getting Royal Oak dropped locally before long. Let me know if you are interested. From what it sounds like, you are really close to me.
22.5 OTG
Smokey Joe
E-330 gasser
More Thermapens than I know what to do with
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #27
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernrescue3321 View Post
I live in NJ
What exit??

Old 06-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #28
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

Im in central jersey and its slim pickins trying to get any large cuts of meat unless you order it a week or so in advance. I have one local guy who normally has just SL Ribs in stock, usually has a whole case on Friday and its gone by Sunday. Usually always has a brisket flat in back and sometimes has some small pork butts. I have a Costco 5min from my house and can load up on SL Ribs anytime but the quality has been so so lately, all their pork butts are bone removed and on the rare occasion they have brisket the point and flat are offered separately and they are cut very small.

RD is pretty close also but unfortunately I have no friends with restaurants etc so that I can get a card
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #29
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm late on this one,
Lowes carries Cowboy lump which has really improved this year.
Home Depot now has a large selection of wood chunks and chips

You can also go to http://doitbest.com you can find a participating hardware store near you and order wood chunks, chip, pellets, charcoal, and tools on line and have it delivered to your hardware store for free with no shipping charges.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #30
DBH
On the road to being a farker

My understanding is that you can get a day pass at RD if you are a KCBS member. I have a bar owner friend that lets me borrow a card. Get good butts locally, but they think the things are made of gold. Other than that, mostly SAMS.
22.5 OTG
Smokey Joe
E-330 gasser
More Thermapens than I know what to do with
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote