How many place turkey in tin while smoking vs. place on grate?

I will be using a tin. First, a turkey can produce a lot of juices and, second, I may want to use them for gravy. However, I will elevate the turkey above the juices using a roasting rack.

I am an on-the-grate person but do have a pan underneath on the second grate in my WSM to catch drippings

I am an on-the-grate person but do have a pan underneath on the second grate in my WSM to catch drippings

That's what I plan to do. Does the heat burn the drippings and do you need to add any kind of liquid to prevent burning?

My preferred method is to cook my birds on a cannon:

IMG_2016.jpg

I usually just do like above, over a grate. I've tried to use a foil pan in the past, but since I go hot & fast, the drippings usually burn up. Plus I've always been afraid that the pan will diffuse the heat too much and not allow a lot of moving heat around the bird.

I think I'll try a pan again, just to collect those awesome drippings. I'll have to use water to keep them from disappearing......still not sure.

I fine the smoked drippings are too smokey so I smoke them on the grate. This year I'm going to stand my turkey up using my deep frier turkey hooks. We'll see how it works.

I will be using a tin. First, a turkey can produce a lot of juices and, second, I may want to use them for gravy. However, I will elevate the turkey above the juices using a roasting rack.

+1

100_0641.jpg

Start breast down ~ flip half way through. The turkey is resting on a rack in the pan ~ added chicken broth. I did not have a problem with the broth scorching nor was it too smokey. Made fantastic gravy! :thumb:

100_0784800x600.jpg

Back