• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

So-I-don't-forget smoked salmon

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
I don't know about you, but I have a terrible time remembering anything, and I'm a terrible record keeper. Usually, I just search my email if I need to find anything. If I'm looking for how I cooked something, I as often as not, look at a previous post. That is what this is, a record so I don't forget. I've made smoked salmon about a dozen times in the last month and I keep forgetting stupid things. If you want some good smoked salmon, see Don Marco's post:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75692&highlight=salmon

This is a super tutorial. When I did it it came out a bit saltier than I liked, so I cut down on the curing time. Probably I salted a bit thicker than Don Marco. I know I rinsed really well. Also, Thirdeye is an encyclopedia:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html

So, now that I've given those two references, you can look them up, as I've got nothing I can add to that. The rest is just what I do, so I don't forget. So if you haven't left already, you're welcome to find another post that has some useful information in it.

I cannot fish and don't see wild salmon for sale too often here, so I stick with what they have at Costco. At least it doesn't stink, like the salmon at the local grocery stores. I also prefer the salmon to the steelhead, but that is my preference. It we're shy some room in the fridge or want to try them different ways, we slice these up.

IMG_0334.jpg

The first lack of memory was the cure: 3:1, sugar:salt. For some reason, after doing this a dozen times, I could not remember that I'd been using brown sugar:

IMG_0335.jpg

Thankfully, my wife's brain is fully equipped and she can remember. This is sprinkled somewhat liberally on the salmon, both sides:

IMG_0336.jpg

Then wrapped in plastic. Usually we used ziplocks, but cling wrap also works if you do a good job:

IMG_0337.jpg

We put the individual slices on plates and in the fridge, weighted down:

IMG_0338.jpg

We've been keeping them there for about 6 hours, but could be a bit longer. Then a good rinse and a pat down. Typically we let it sit for about an hour or so.

IMG_0341.jpg

We've been flavoring them with maple syrup and ground pepper:

IMG_0343.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

But we have tried a number of other flavorings. This one I think is the new favorite, sesame oil and sesame seeds:

IMG_0345.jpg

The smoker is brought up to about 160-200*. I also put a huge chunk of cherry wood in. That is really nice. This is not a cold smoke. I prefer cold-smoked salmon, but my wife likes it taken up to about 145*. This I also have a habit of forgetting: put the salmon on cookie racks. This makes putting them on and taking them off the smoker really easy, just lift the rack:

IMG_0347.jpg

Usually it takes about 1.5-2.5 hours, depending on the temperature and how late it is.

IMG_0362.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

Finally, we let them sit a day before eating. Normally, they're gone pretty quickly.

Good luck, since starting to interact with Gore, I forget all sorts of things.

That is some good looking salmon, and the sesame seed thing is your favorite?

I really like the maple too. We typically use maple syrup we picked up in NY sold at a farmer's market. It's about twice as thick as what we get in the stores. I really like sweet though. The sesame oil (poured on then rubbed) then covered in sesame seeds also is really nice. I haven't seen that done elsewhere, but it is highly recommended. Definitely my wife's favorite. I can't decide.

Last edited:
my email too is full of copy/paste drafts or emails i have copy/pasted and then sent to myself, and go into the recipe folder, there is also a BBQ BUDDIE's folder where the same type of thing happens such as an address put up so maybe a box of TP can be sent forth to someone partaking of Shane's brisket or somethin...of that nature

Have you used Alder to smoke with? I remember some of the best I've ever had was in WA, smoked w/ Alder. Grant it, it was very fresh salmon, and I'm sure that plays into it as well....

Have you used Alder to smoke with? I remember some of the best I've ever had was in WA, smoked w/ Alder. Grant it, it was very fresh salmon, and I'm sure that plays into it as well....

This is very common in Finland. I was given a small box smoker from some friends a couple years back, the type that everyone there has (or so I was told). My friend had to translate the directions for me and the wood used is alder. Unfortunately, finding Alder is not easy here. Went on a mission and finally found that it was the wood used by one particular company to make the shavings to line hamster cages. Yes, I bought a bag and used it for the salmon. :tsk: Yep, it was good. :thumb:

Looks great Gore. My wife loves salmon, so I'll have to try these out for her. I'm a fan too, but its her favorite thing to grill or smoke. Have you been in 3 TDs...you should enter this in the virgin throwdown :laugh:

Wow... I think you posted something really good, Gore, but that was 8 posts ago and it's getting fuzzy. It was Gore, wasn't it? I don't remember...

:becky:

Very nice Gore. Maple syrup and Salmon are a great match of flavors.

Great looking salmon Gore! Can I ask, what's the reason for the weight?

Sorry, I forgot I posted this.... and what are all you reading this for? Did you forget how to make salmon too?... Well, anyway, as I understand it, the reason for the weight is to keep the fish from getting away. :thumb: ... or something about squeezing the water out to concentrate the flavor. I don't know if there's any truth to either theory, but that's what I've seen and read and done. Guess I'll have to try it without the weight and see if I can tell the difference.

Wow, great thread Gore, I really like the sesame seed idea. It all seems vaguely familiar though.

Oh yeah...I had sesame on some Phish in a Japanese restaurant in Kiev.
Excellent combo!
I'm only used to sesame seeds on bread.

Back