Bone in or bone out????

HumboldtSmokeBBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
1st comp is in a month. My chicken is on the mark...
This is a CBBQA event, which I think judges the same as a KCBS event.
Do judges prefer the chicken bone in or out???
I have been taking the bones out of my thigh...does it matter?
Any one know which way to go on this, or is this an invitation to a totally circular debate with no answer?

California has its own judging preferences in that regard, but good product is rewarded. Nobody can argue with moist, tender and flavorful. It's not like some areas where frankenchicken is practically an unwritten rule.

ETA: Are you talking about Hangtown? Wiki page says KCBS scoring will be used.

Most folks I know up here do bone in...but ya gotta do whatever works for the local judges down there...:cool:

we do bone in thighs. trim em up nice, scrape the skin, brine them for a lil while, still havent gotten a call yet...might be time to break out the muffin pan and sculpt me some chicken.

Hangtown is a very informal backyard event, with the focus being on bringing new teams up to speed on entries, boxing, etc. If you've been reading here and are worrying about boneless chicken, I'd be willing to bet you'll be pretty much ahead of the curve.

I have always gone bone in (but dont go by me). I spoke with a judge who does a bunch of comps and he said I thinks he's only gotten boneless thighs 1 or 2 times over the years. I hope someone who does well in chicken will chime in and let us know their thoughts.

Hangtown is a very informal backyard event, with the focus being on bringing new teams up to speed on entries, boxing, etc. If you've been reading here and are worrying about boneless chicken, I'd be willing to bet you'll be pretty much ahead of the curve.

I am aware that it is an informal event...but we need to take it seriously. It is my first comp, and i need to bring my A-game so folks know we are for real, And I want to turn in good product, If i am ahead of the curve, that is great...

My take so far is that most folks are turning in bone in chicken then?

I thought I had turned in boneless once last year, but the pictures don't agree. I much prefer bone-in as well.

If you take the bone out, why do you do it? Does it serve a particular purpose? I guess that's where I'd start. If it serves a purpose then great. If it's just to be different, well - IMHO, KCBS BBQ is basically a conformity contest so I suppose I'd stick with what works.

Do judges prefer the chicken bone in or out???

I don't think judges should prefer one over the other, nor should they mark up or down for the absence or presence of a bone.
Judges judge what they taste, not whether they like the bone in or out.

I don't think judges should prefer one over the other, nor should they mark up or down for the absence or presence of a bone.
Judges judge what they taste, not whether they like the bone in or out.

I understand that, I guess this goes back to what you told me yesterday...They dont have to be uniform size. That is basically what/ehy I am asking. I know I can get uniform thighs with the bone in...but I can make every thigh exactly the same, easily, if I take the bone out.
you told me yesterday that matching the size was unimportant to you, a judge, right?

you do get judged on appereance, right?

Right. I judge how appetizing the appearance of the meat is. Not the size, shape, symmetry, or garnish.

OK, I was thinking you judge the appearance of the box when initially opened as well...and that some judges would take that into consideration. I dont mean sauce on the inside of the lid, but the size and lay out of the meat, placement on the garnish, the over all box...

Thanks for your help, you are really teaching me something here. I have read and seen so much focus on the size and uniformity of the meat, and the lay out and over all appearence of the turn in box...

I spoke with a judge who does a bunch of comps and he said I thinks he's only gotten boneless thighs 1 or 2 times over the years.

I've judged for several years and have yet to get boneless thighs. I had some boneless breasts and some chopped chicken bbq (maybe it had some white/dark mixed) but never boneless thighs.

Having said that - It doesn't matter how it is presented (bone-in or boneless) it is all good if you make it taste good. So it is what you cook best.

Good luck.

(Disclaimer - I've only judged east of the Mississippi.)

Back