MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

Default NY-Times, grilling over wood? Rib-eye on a cast iron grate

Thats it, I got to grill a rib-eye.

The new-york time had an article that was widely quoted all over the internet: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/20/di...fire.html?_r=1
It calls for wood fires, what do you reckon?

Isnt locally made lump charcoal just as good? And I rather add some soaked wood chips for smokey flavor.

So I went out and bought 7 pounds of rib-eye for tonights bbq. Got some friends from America and Australia over, lets see if the recipe works on our cast-iron-grate:

"But to cook Mr. Mallmann’s trademark rib-eye, modestly called “A Perfect Steak,” all you need is medium-high heat, with a grill set about two inches above the embers. I joined Mr. Kaminsky in his backyard, where he explained the technique: patience. The one-and-a-half-inch-thick rib-eye was cooked for nine minutes on one side, then seven minutes on the other, timed on an iPhone. Mr. Kaminsky hardly touched it, rotating it 45 degrees on each side, and flipping it only once. "

Any thoughts and suggestions? What about the timing: 9 on one, 7 on the other side?

Old 05-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Use lump with chips. Cookem hot and fast. No need to steam them though leave the chips dry. Post Pron when done.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks, and whats the best timing? 9 minutes on one, 7 minutes on the other side, or rather a bit less?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
LT72884
Babbling Farker

wanna try something interesting. Some cooks put there t-bones or ribeyes right on the coals to cook. Its a Mediterranean thing.. Kind of cool but leaves ash on the meat

Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

Alton brown on good eats used a hairblower to blow of the ashes on the coals. After you place the meat on directly.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

I smoke my ribeyes for 30 minutes, away from the heat, turning once (just for grill marks). Then I move them directly over the coals, about 4 inches away, and grill each side 5 minutes, or until they have the right color.

This usually produces a nice, tender, medium rare. I can take pics this weekend. My son is coming home on leave from the USAF, and we're gonna grill some steaks...

I usually use hickory chunks for smoke, but tried pecan last time. Both are good...
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolf View Post
Thanks, and whats the best timing? 9 minutes on one, 7 minutes on the other side, or rather a bit less?
9 and 7 seems about right, but remember he's using 1 1/2 inch steaks. Fire temp will also play a big role.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
FltEng
On the road to being a farker

Grill hot for about 5-6 minutes on each side for medium rare. 9-7 seems way too long for 1.5 inch steaks; I'd be willing to bet that you would have almost well done with that amount of time.
FltEng is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltEng View Post
Grill hot for about 5-6 minutes on each side for medium rare. 9-7 seems way too long for 1.5 inch steaks; I'd be willing to bet that you would have almost well done with that amount of time.
The original post calls for medium-high heat, insted of hot. That will increase time of course. Me I too go for the very hot get-er-done fire, only turning once. I will go indirect for part of the cook with steaks over 2 inches thick-sometimes.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #10
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

The Ribeye was in the fridge for a day, dry and wrapped in a towel.
I just started firing up the weber, and my kamado smokes some chillies with mesquite woodchips.
Gonna be posting pictures of the steaks in a few hours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steakday1.jpg (34.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Steakday2.jpg (37.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Steakday3.jpg (46.4 KB, 84 views)

Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #11
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

This is the first try, I put butter on the outside, so it went a bit brown on me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steakday1.jpg (55.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg steakday2.jpg (50.4 KB, 79 views)

Old 05-22-2009, 05:37 AM   #12
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

Finally got some nice grillmarks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steakday1.jpg (41.3 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg steakday2.jpg (44.3 KB, 69 views)

Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 AM   #13
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good!!

I prefer mine with a bit more charring (bark, whatever. Darker color...) but I would be very happy with those results!!!
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #14
rolf
Full Fledged Farker

I got my best results by first putting them directly over the coals, 2 minutes, flip 45 degrees for the hatch pattern. 2 more minutes, then turn the steak around. 2 minutes and after I move the steak to indirect heat with closed lid for another 5 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ribeye1.jpg (311.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg ribeye2.jpg (326.8 KB, 57 views)

Old 05-22-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
SmokeWatcher
is one Smokin' Farker

Those steaks look great!

Ya know I really like those cast iron grills for the Weber. The cost needs to come down some though.