Meat temps and times

R

Roo-B-Q'N

Ok I know this is like asking what is your favorite color, but trying to pull together a good idea of what temps (or times)to bring each meat catagory (chicken, pork, ribs and brisket) to. And does bringing a meat to certain temperature make it easier to pull or carve ect.
This is mostly for competion cooking, but for food safety it would be useful for back yard cooking as well.

Chicken: 165 (according to the govt-- alot of people like thighs at 180 for texture)

Brisket: anywhere from 180-200 or so, depending on feel more than anything else. The probe should slide in with no resistance.

Pork butt/picnic: 185 or so for slicing 190-205 for pulling, again based on feel. It should have no resistance and be kind of like jello.

Ribs-- no real temp to go by. Unlike my ribs at the Paul Kirk class on Saturday, they should tear fairly easily when you grab two bones in the middle of the rack and pull. Another test is to pick them up in the middle of the rack w/ tongs-- if they slouch and start to break, they are done. You can also use a toothpick in the meat-- if it goes in easy, you're there.

Figure 1-2 hours per pound for the big cuts. About 6 hours or so for spares, and about 4-6 for babys. Using these temps as a guide will help with pulling/carving as you asked, particularly w/ the pork butts.

Hope that helps a little.

You should decide your personal preference for doneness. Remember that most internal temperatures will rise 5° to 10° during the rest period. Meats ground fresh at home and used immediately can be cooked to a lower temperature that store bought ground products. Here are some guidelines that I use:

CUT ----------------------APPROXIMATE INTERNAL TEMPERATURE

Brisket.......................... 185°-200°
Beef Roasts/Steaks ........120°-125° rare 125°-130° medium rare 140°-145° medium

Beef Hamburger, store bought...160°
Beef Hamburger, fresh ground...140° - 150°
Bologna ........................140°
Chicken ........ 165°-175° thigh, 150° - 155° breast -(juices should run clear)

Turkey ..........165°-175° thigh, 155° - 165°breast - (juices should run clear)
Lamb.............................130°-145°
Pork Butt & Picnic..........165°-180° for slicing 185°-200° for pulling
Pork Loin ......................145°-165°
Sausage , store bought....165°-170°

Sausage, fresh ground.... 150° - 160°
Sausage, chicken ........... 165° - 170°
Salmon...........................135°-150°

Here is the USDA recommended temps:
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/oa/pubs/cfg/cfg7.htm

backyardchef said:
Chicken: 165 (according to the govt-- alot of people like thighs at 180 for texture)

Brisket: anywhere from 180-200 or so, depending on feel more than anything else. The probe should slide in with no resistance.

Pork butt/picnic: 185 or so for slicing 190-205 for pulling, again based on feel. It should have no resistance and be kind of like jello.

Ribs-- no real temp to go by. Unlike my ribs at the Paul Kirk class on Saturday, they should tear fairly easily when you grab two bones in the middle of the rack and pull. Another test is to pick them up in the middle of the rack w/ tongs-- if they slouch and start to break, they are done. You can also use a toothpick in the meat-- if it goes in easy, you're there.

Figure 1-2 hours per pound for the big cuts. About 6 hours or so for spares, and about 4-6 for babys. Using these temps as a guide will help with pulling/carving as you asked, particularly w/ the pork butts.

Hope that helps a little.

I'm assuming that those times don't include foiling. If I use foil, my ribs are done in 4-4.5 hours. Part of it is the cooker also. In my chargriller, an 11 pound brisket takes 12-14 hours. In my barrel, it would be done in 8.

Good point, Mista. It's all really just a rough guide-- like you said, different cookers produce different results, and each rack of ribs or whatever will act a little differently. I didn't even think of foil.......

Lots of good info here. I just try to help where I can.

Back