MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #136
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete
Default Not a Weber but still a mini

Its a Brinkmann but it came with an ash pan. No need to drill or mess with the intakes. The Lid is a little awkward to hold but other than that it works great. Handles on the bottom sides make it easier to carry when hot vs my Jimmy. Got the Brinkmann portable for $9.
BrinkMan Mini Flipped.jpg
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-02-2015, 08:33 PM   #137
gsxunv04
Found some matches.

Is black iron pipe ok to use for adding side intake vents on a SJS, or do I need stainless(same for a ball valve)? If SS, where do you guys get it at?
gsxunv04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #138
gsxunv04
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebijack View Post
Well my other mini went to a good home. Sooo.. I had to build another. This time the pot did not fit all that tight ( leaked like crazy) so I used the lid attached to the bottom of the pot like others. Welded on some handles for easier grate removal. Elbows/magnets for intakes. No HOT ashes getting out during any cook.

Can you give more info on your elbow vents? What size and material list did you use? Looks great.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #139
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

A little more appreciation for the mini. You can expand it's capability by removing any diffuser, laying rebar on the top of the pot and hanging food also...ala Pit Barrel cooker. Lid simply sits on the rebar, use your intakes like normal.

It can hold quite a bit.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2015, 08:51 PM   #140
Yellowhair42
is one Smokin' Farker

Ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowhair42 View Post
Try to find a 15 gallon barrel. I just scored one for free. Will be adding my pictures to this post soon. Going to work on it this weekend.
Finally posting a pic. I actually forgot about this thread. Sorry about the sideways pic,. First time posting from phone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150523_203645.jpg (44.0 KB, 230 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #141
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxunv04 View Post
Can you give more info on your elbow vents? What size and material list did you use? Looks great.
Thanks
(3) 3/4" black pipe elbows. I can get any temp I want. If I add extra air by opening the bottom vent with the 3 elbows, it really takes off. The lid vent is the restriction and you'd have to put angle sheet metal or rebar across the top to hold the lid up( like someone around here ). You should be able to easily do small pizza's. I drilled the elbow holes where the coal grate meets the Weber bottom so I have air below and just above the grate so ash can not choke it out. Also on long smokes (6hrs) the elbows partially fill with ash but do not close off. I only need one elbow for most cooks, but during long cooks, if the coals are only burning on one side I can switch which elbow I want as an intake and direct the heat doing that and the lid. The elbows also stop direct wind blowing in and messing with the temp. Same thing I do on my UDS's only larger elbows.
I have a personal concern of hot ash/coals escaping so I eliminated that from happening. I burned the heck out of my foot once standing next to another Weber I had, never saw the hot coal that escaped and it burned into my heel. Lesson learned.
This is a photo from my first mini showing the grate/intakes. I was just a bit more careful with location this time as the first one was an experiment.

Last edited by ebijack; 06-03-2015 at 04:56 AM..
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 AM   #142
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I don't remember if I ever posted here but minis rock! Great way to get into smoking.
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2015, 08:25 AM   #143
scott1459
On the road to being a farker

great project to do but the painting and curing was a bit of a pain.
lots of ideas here and the wkc forums
scott1459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #144
gsxunv04
Found some matches.

Quote:
Thanks
(3) 3/4" black pipe elbows. I can get any temp I want. If I add extra air by opening the bottom vent with the 3 elbows, it really takes off. The lid vent is the restriction and you'd have to put angle sheet metal or rebar across the top to hold the lid up( like someone around here ). You should be able to easily do small pizza's. I drilled the elbow holes where the coal grate meets the Weber bottom so I have air below and just above the grate so ash can not choke it out. Also on long smokes (6hrs) the elbows partially fill with ash but do not close off. I only need one elbow for most cooks, but during long cooks, if the coals are only burning on one side I can switch which elbow I want as an intake and direct the heat doing that and the lid. The elbows also stop direct wind blowing in and messing with the temp. Same thing I do on my UDS's only larger elbows.
I have a personal concern of hot ash/coals escaping so I eliminated that from happening. I burned the heck out of my foot once standing next to another Weber I had, never saw the hot coal that escaped and it burned into my heel. Lesson learned.
This is a photo from my first mini showing the grate/intakes. I was just a bit more careful with location this time as the first one was an experiment.
Thanks. How did you attach them to the grill? Did you use a coupling and an electrical nut or are they welded?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #145
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Welded, but you might be able to use male/female and the flange nuts if you do not have access to welding.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #146
BeerBQ
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I decided to add 2 handles to the base/bowl sides just below the grate radius to make moving mine around easier. Works great, easy peasy.

This thread has inspired me to make some needed upgrades to my Smokey Joe. I'm not much of a metal worker, though, so I have some questions:

1) What kind of intakes did you use? I'd like to add something under the coal grate to get some more air flow. I'm working on a handle for the vent cover now.

2) I picked up a cat food bowl ($.97 at Walmart) that is metal but doesn't specify what kind. Is there any danger in it? And if so, how can I determine what it is?

3) I have a grate to hold a clay saucer on the indent in the pot. Do I need this? I've seen some use the inset with holes in it that comes with the bowl. Anyone have issues with airflow doing it that way?
BeerBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2015, 09:26 PM   #147
bvbull200
Take a breath!

I suppose this is the best place to share...

One thing I always thought that kept the mini-WSM from really looking like a WSM was the flat-ish lid. It just so happened that I had a couple of WSJ bottoms laying around from a couple of keg smoker builds that I did, so I figured I'd grab a tamale pot and kill a couple hours this weekend.

This is how it turned out. I still need to get a couple of racks to try it out, but I will say, it is a pretty nifty looking little smoker. I don't think it'll take any cook time away from my keg smoker, so I don't guess I'll keep it; it was just a fun little project while my daughter napped and the short rib was on the Pitfaced BBQ drum.

Here it is:

1-inch ball valve in addition to whatever I get from the bottom vents ought to suffice:

Shameless plug for my keg smoker :):

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-06-2015, 02:23 PM   #148
jjjonz
Take a breath!

Had mine about 3 years now...I cook most of the time with no deflector . I use this a lot instead of my PBC since there is only two of us. Thats a Tip Top Temp controller on top.... works great.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:32 PM   #149
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Bump

Old 10-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #150
Mark In The Pit
Knows what a fatty is.

Here are some more details about how I put this little guy together.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...52#post3880152

Tags
appreciation threads