"It's Time to End the War on Salt" Scientific American

Bulverde

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
July 8, 2011 Scientific American

"This week a meta-analysis of seven studies involving a total of 6,250 subjects in the American Journal of Hypertension found no strong evidence that cutting salt intake reduces the risk for heart attacks, strokes or death in people with normal or high blood pressure."

Bulverde

I would have skewed those results in a big way. When I have a "higher than normal" sodium supper my BP will be noticeably higher when I check it later that evening. Normal BP is 125/70. After a high sodium supper it well be 140/90 with out exception. By morning it's back to normal. YMMV. Cheers!!!

I like the fact that this is a scientific community peer review of seven separate studies.

Subjectivity is minimal.

Personal experience, of course, is a real consideration too.

Bulverde

my blood pressure is on the high side and i take pills for it. asked about salt intake reduction and the doc said it would make little to no differance. i use salt in moderation. my blood tests show no problem as far as salt is concerned. i think much of the high blood pressure problem is just hereditary.

My doc told me years ago that for me, salt made little difference. I've always used very little in cooking anyway and only add as needed on the plate.

Fan of salt. I season everything WELL while cooking. Salt afterwards is ok, but most foods are much better cooked with seasoning.

Everyone has difference tastes.

Golly, if Michael Bloomberg believes salt is bad, it must be so! :wacko:

Last edited:
I have hypertension and control it with pills. Dr. thought maybe I had a blockage somewhere so had ultra sounds run on all blood vessels and organs from neck to waist with emphasis on the kidneys which play a major role in blood pressure regulation. No blockages, no kinks, everything normal. Salt level normal. Blood tests normal. I am believing it is heredity and have since found a history of it in my family through my genealogy research.

Excessive amounts of salt is bad for you. Some random study won't convince me otherwise. That being said my salt intake is excessive and I don't really care. I'll start worrying about my health 20 years from now or when I'm diagnosed with a terminal illness whichever comes first.

I had hypertension and it is now cured. All it takes is a clean diet, lower overall sugars and salt and lots of lifting weights and rowing on an ergometer.

Back