THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That looks interesting. The Campbell folk School offers some similar classes. I was wondering if the original classes are more for competition cookers than just backyarders?

The original classes are for competition cookers, as Myron covers topics like preparing boxes for MBN, FBA, KCBS, MIM, but there are still plenty of backyard cookers that go to them. The "Memories" class is limited to 15, so it's double the price of the comp class.

$1500 for 3 days!!! I spent $16k on culinary school back in 96 and that was for a year and a half. Myron is nuts and thriving on his current fame. I can justify $750 for 2 or three days when it goes towards competition cooking where I could make it back but man, 1500 for a style I can't do in my back yard and to learn how to cook side dishes?

You'd be amazed how many people who attend Myron's competition class are wealthy foodies who just decided to fly down to Georgia for the weekend on a lark. These are the people who will spend several thousand to watch celebrity chefs prepare a meal at the Greenbriar and similar high-tone events.

Brother Myron is nothing if not a savvy businessman, and he's structured this new class to give these customers what they want - an authentic Americana weekend with one of the legends of barbecue they've seen on TV. Frankly, you competition cooks who would like to be able to take the JOS comp cooking class should be glad, because now when you are able to attend you'll have fewer country clubbing trust funded types underfoot.

Now if you happen to actually be one of these economically advantaged folks, don't take offense, just come on down for the "Memories" class and soak up a heapin' helpin' of what it is to live in the South. We've got plenty of home cooking and stories for y'all, and your Yankee money spends real well down here. :-D

$1500 for 3 days!!! I spent $16k on culinary school back in 96 and that was for a year and a half. Myron is nuts and thriving on his current fame. I can justify $750 for 2 or three days when it goes towards competition cooking where I could make it back but man, 1500 for a style I can't do in my back yard and to learn how to cook side dishes?

I forgot to mention, this class isn't mandatory for all human beings. You don't actually have to attend the class and you only pay $1500 if you want to take it. If not, feel free to not go and not pay the $1500.

I took his class back in May and the replica pit was near completion. This pit is all under roof. It would be an interesting class to take but I can't afford this one.

Back