MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
huntin smoke
On the road to being a farker

I use a home made pork puller. It will do a ten pound butt in 15 seconds

Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #32
PollardsVision
Got Wood.

My process probably takes too long, but I trim a pretty good amount of the fat first. I take each section individually, trim any fat, and give it a very coarse chop (1.5" by 1.5" or so).

I prefer plastic food service gloves and a cleaver when it comes to trimming fat. I can feel it with my hands and I can separate larger sections quickly with a cleaver.

Trimming does take me longer, but, for me, the coarse-chopping with a cleaver saves a lot of over hand-pulling with pvc/insulated gloves. I find hand pulling to be a little tedious. A few whacks with a cleaver, and boom, I've immediately got the consistency I want.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #33
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

I use the bone I remove from the butt to cut the clod down to size and then I use my hands, that are in gloves, to finish the job. Works well for me.
CBJ #31626
UDS
Lots of Weber Grills
Traeger Texas Pellet Grill
My cooking blog
[URL]http://babyboomerboyscookinblog.blogspot.com/[/URL]
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #34
TurboDog
On the road to being a farker

I usually just do it with my bare hands a burn the hell out of myself in the process. I have used nitrile surgical type glove on occasions when I wasn't somewhere that I could wash my hands before and after. I don't use forks and I don't think I would like using gloves that were thick enough to prevent me from feeling where the fat is.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #35
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I usually start by dimming the lights, maybe lighting some incense, and putting on some slow music...

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #36
BobM
Babbling Farker

I use two large forks. I think they are salad serving forks or something. They are like 3 times the size of a regular fork. They work great.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I use my hands unless it's one of those North Carolina racing pigs. Then it's the chain and my old Jimmy pick up.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #38
Garrett
Babbling Farker

Bear Claws are the best to start with.
Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #39
weihl165
Got Wood.

Best way to pull your pork is with your hands! Lmao
I use my hands, either with Steve's gloves or food handling gloves. I have seen the mixer method, and a company sells something similar to what Hunt in made. I like to use my hands so I can get most of the nasty fat out.
weihl165 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #40
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

By hand, thin pair of food handling gloved only. I like to get the larger chunks of fat out by hand rather than shredding it all up together using bear claws.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #41
MICHIGAN SMOKE
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceofQ View Post
The Ro–Man Pork Puller would be good to look into for pulling large amounts of pork butts. I also like the Meatrake!

~Jay Prince

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
I had a welder at work make me one, and it is INCREDIBLE !

I frequently cook 20+ butts at a time and this thing saves so much trouble and time!
It seemed like a gimmick at first, but when I tried it....wow