MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #16
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

Looks great! I usually split mine. Makes it easier to get on the 18.5" WSM.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Bacon_99
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the post. Was actually wondering about spatchcocking a turkey yesterday. Usually do it or chicken on the egg but was wondering if turkey would be good too since its a bit bigger. Nothing like cold smoked turkey leftovers for making club sandwiches....

Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
Paul B
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow...now I can't decide wether to roto or spat ?? Maybe one of each.

Paul B
SS UDS
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 PM   #19
d37fan
Got Wood.

Thanks for the pics, you made up my mind on what to do this weekend, also for practice. Dale.
SW Missouri. A Homemade Stickburner Offset, UDS #1 10/2010 to 7/2019 UDS #2 7/2019 to Current.
d37fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
d37fan
Got Wood.

Did you brine this bird or do you need to?
SW Missouri. A Homemade Stickburner Offset, UDS #1 10/2010 to 7/2019 UDS #2 7/2019 to Current.
d37fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #21
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d37fan View Post
Need? I don't know about need, but I ALWAYS prefer to brine. Haven't spatched a turkey though. This may inspire me.....

Nice job on the bird!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #22
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
Nice. We we're talking about turkey on the bus home tonight. I love turkey. Going to have to smoke one. What did you think about the rub versus traditional roasted turkey?
I've been smoking our T-Day turkeys for more than 10 years ( I honestly can't remember how long, but I started before my youngest was born and she's just turned 9, so "more than 10 years" is as close as I can come...) and I've been using my rub mix for at least seven of those. I know I'm biased, but I just really like the flavor profile of my rub.

That being said, I also like a more standard herb mixture with sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper.

Both do equally well in a smoker.

As for smoker vs. oven, there's no comparison IMO. In a good smoker you don't have to baste, you get that nummy smoky flavor and you free up the oven for other stuff like casseroles, pies and such. The bird always comes out moist and tender (and if you brine beforehand, it's even more so.)
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #23
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Great looking bird! makes me want to do one.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #24
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d37fan View Post
Wampus is right, you don't really NEED to brine it, but it does add another layer of flavor. I didn't with this one and it was VERY juicy and tender. My wife prefers the more natural smoked turkey flavor and thinks it's "too much" when I brine. I like it though.

The only down side to brining is you have to be careful not to over brine your bird. Poultry takes brine very quickly and it is easy to put too much salt in your bird and end up with something that tastes like a rubbery saltlick.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote