SmokeJumper

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
San Francisco, CA and Phu Quoc Island Vietnam
Our new category is...

[size=+2]"Home Cured and Smoked"[/size]
ham_holder.jpg

Photo from Surryfarms.

...as chosen by bluetang, the winner of the Legs Throwdown!

The entry should contain a primary element that is cured at home and smoked over livefire:becky:

Click here to read the rules for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 10/1 through Sunday 10/10.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Midnight Central US Time on Sunday night 10/10.

By submitting entry photos to this Throwdown thread you are agreeing that you have read and understand the Throwdown Rules.

The voting will begin Monday 10/11 after I submit the "Vote" thread and will run through Friday 10/15. All votes will be public.

Don't forget, you can still enter the In My Neck of the Woods Throwdown until Sunday night 10/3 by midnight Central time.

Our next category will be decided by the winner of the Breakfast Sandwich Throwdown!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

This one is probably a bit out of my current comfort zone, so I will be watching from the sidelines. Still, with that said, this will be an opportunity for me to learn a few new things. I am sure you guys (and gals) will come up with some wonderful stuff.

This one is rather interesting, haven't done much of this. Not sure what can be accomplished in a little over a week but, it's worth a shot!

Right up my alley! Better stop by the Asian grocery for some pork belly in the morning!

I thought I'd kick this one off early, because at the very least, it will take a few days at the least to get something going. I have a problem because I'm going to be very busy next weekend, so I needed to choose something that I can knock off in lesss than 5 days.

Canadian Bacon....
DSC_0085.jpg

I went to my local Asian Market in Springvale, where they have trimmed pork loin at great prices. I bought 4 loins to make my Canadian Bacon for about 30 Bucks
DSC_0088.jpg

Made me some brine....

And then did some injecting. Man, I love injecting!
DSC_0090.jpg

Then I poured the rest of the brine in the container... and in a few days, hopefully it will be Canadian Bacon

DSC_0093.jpg

I'm hoping some of the curing pro's enter this one... cause I'm just making a recipe from a book!

Sure is fun though!

Cheers!

Bill

I see you're off to a good start there, Bill!

Looking forward to watching this throwdown! :thumb:

I know that my Brethren friends need NO help.... just throwing some ideas out there.....
If you're running short on time.. anything can be given a quick overnight cure using 1 TBs tenderquick mixed with 1 tsp of sugar per pound of meat.

Butterflied to lay flat pork loins...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85365
Butterflying cuts down on cure time.

chops and chicken just take a few hours..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90214

just some ideas...

Thanks a lot Jeanie! You're always a big help. I'm still trying to figure out what Cured means. I'm thinking it means the animal was sick when they butchered it and you've got to cure it postmortem to make it safe to eat. This Tenderquick of which you speak, does it work on common colds too? I guess it doesn't taste so good, since you need a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down. Unfortunately, I see that's per pound of meat. Does that include bones and fat too? If so, I hope they sell it in barrels! :shocked:

Gore..Thanks.. :)

I thought about my post on "quick" curing this evening and came back here to delete my post. I didn't know if that's what Bluetang had in mind when he picked curing...
Bluetang..sorry if I butted in..I didn't think before posting. :doh:

Gore..Thanks.. :)

I thought about my post on "quick" curing this evening and came back here to delete my post. I didn't know if that's what Bluetang had in mind when he picked curing...
Bluetang..sorry if I butted in..I didn't think before posting. :doh:
Not a problem here in any way, I think it was totally appropriate. As for me, the first place I went was to your previous posts on the subject of curing:thumb:, and I think others have too, or if not, they should:-D.

"Home cured and smoked in my neck of the woods" has a WHOLE different meaning :shocked: where I live....

Just sayin" :becky:

An interesting combo of TD's :confused:
I think I'll just sit back and watch

Not a problem here in any way, I think it was totally appropriate. As for me, the first place I went was to your previous posts on the subject of curing:thumb:, and I think others have too, or if not, they should:-D.

whew,...... Thanks Bluetang...:hug: :cool::becky:

Back