Backwoods vs. Spicewine?

P

Patrick's BBQ

If $$ were not an option which is the better smoker?

Spicewine - Med

or

Backwoods - Fatboy

I'll be getting the Guru installed on whichever one I get. So take that into consideration.

I will not be moving this thing much maybe once a year or so.

I want something that will last a VERY long time and is a set it and forget it kind of a smoker

If you can recommend another smoker I'll hear that too but it looks like it will be one of these.

Thanks guys...

You know my vote both are great units but when you do want to move it the BWS will be much easier. Burn times are comprable and remember Brethren discounts apply on both the BWS and GURU:mrgreen:

I have both a Spicweine and a Backwoods, the SW is the large, nd BW is the Party, so take that into consideration when you read this.
Both are great cookers, I can move the BW around a heck of a lot easier than the SW. Just this last weekend my wife and I just lifted the BW into the pickup bed and off we went, once there I unloaded it myself.
I run both without water, and can get some great burn times out of both of them without a guru. I am however looking at getting a guru for the SW down the road if the basket I am having made does not help extend the burn time.
Do you have the opportunity to cook on either of them before you make your purchase? That might help you decide as well.

I would toss the Stumps into the equation because it is also a verticle cooker and has the added feature of a gravity feed charcoal delivery method. I just thought to make this post because when I was shopping for my smoker, these were the three cookers I considered.

Although similar, each have some different pros and cons

BWS - lighter weight (for you to determine if that's a pro or con), verticle reverse flow, insulated doors, black and/or stainless

SW - heavier weight (for you to determine if that's a pro or con), various shiney colors, generally larger waterpans based on similar size to the BWS

Feel free to ask me any BWS specific questions.

I have a spicewine, and love it. I have never cooked on a BW, so I cannot give pros or cons. All I can tell you, if you get a spice, you will be very very happy!

One thing to consider is that the Spicewine has a larger capacity and the ability to have full pans on each shelf.

One thing to consider is that the Spicewine has a larger capacity and the ability to have full pans on each shelf.

Larger capacity? Various sizes exist from both makers. You are correct about full pans not fitting in most of the smaller BWS's, but they do fit in the larger ones Gator/Fatboy on up. By slightly bending the edge of a full pan, I can get one per rack in my Competitor

Larger capacity? Various sizes exist from both makers. You are correct about full pans not fitting in most of the smaller BWS's, but they do fit in the larger ones Gator/Fatboy on up. By slightly bending the edge of a full pan, I can get one per rack in my Competitor
Yup no problem on the full pans do it everyday.

I thought the racks in the fatboy that he asked about were only 19X19?

Never cooked on a BW. My Spicewine fits every criteria you described, perfectly. (Except, as I have said, not sure why you would need a guru unless you want burns unattended over 12-14 hours.)

[FONT=arial, helvetica]Full size deep foil steam table dimensions:
Top Outside: 20-3/4" x 12-13/16"
Bottom: 17-19/32" x 9-21/32"
Depth: 3-3/8"

[/FONT]The Fatboy has four racks 19 1/2" square which are spaced 4 1/4" apart.

Like you said, you would have to bend the pans to get them in. That means you couldn't put in a steel pan that fits in a chaffing dish.

Don't get me wrong. I think the backwoods is a great cooker. I've cooked on one. Just want the man to have all of the facts.

I thought the racks in the fatboy that he asked about were only 19X19?

Racks are 19.5x19.5, the inside dimensions are 20x20 - the racks give a bit from side to side. A full pan is just over 20 with the edges.

Don't get me wrong. I think the backwoods is a great cooker. I've cooked on one. Just want the man to have all of the facts.

I agree. With either steel or aluminum full pans, the edge would have to be bent in order to fit into the Fatboy and Competitor. But they will fit in a Gator, Professional, Pro Jr, Whole Hog, Piglet, Comp Hog ... am I missing any other models?

BTW, thanks for the energy pack - I used it wisely. I will return the favor as soon as it allows me to.

Given your criterium, and speaking as a Backwoods Party owner who has cooked several times on a SW medium, go Spicewine. ONLY becasue you don't plan on moving it around!

Given your criterium, and speaking as a Backwoods Party owner who has cooked several times on a SW medium, go Spicewine. ONLY becasue you don't plan on moving it around!

Still sore about that toe, huh?

If you don't plan to move it around, and price is not an issue, and your looking for it to last a very long time,I would definitely vote Spicewine for the sole reason that there is more steel and from a production standpoint is much more solid...

plus it's one hell of a cooker...

Both are great cookers....

I plan on cooking a number of comps this year...

The opportunity came up to acquire IQue's "The Twins" BWS Fat Boys and Cargo Pro 5x8 trailer...

I couldn't be happier with "The Twins" and trailer ...

For me the weight is an issue in that I have limited manpower at a comp...

It seems that NEBS teams favor the BWS and the LI teams favor Spicewine... both for good reasons...

I've had more exposure to the BWS cooking in NEBS comps, but have had great experiences and Q with Spicewine...

Flip a coin...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Last edited:
Back