MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
SoEzzy
Full Fledged Farker

6 - 7

Increase the garnish, then increase the meat to fill the box out, top and bottom left looks a little sparse, the stringyness could be laid out neater, and an area of bark separate to the chunks might help out.

From a judging point of view, if you want the judges to taste all the styles of meat in the box, give them a chance to obtain their samples as cleanly as possible, being able to pick from the bark, the chunks, and the pulled to put on the judges plate, the cleaner I can do it the higher I'm likely to score the box.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

6- the chunks are ragged, not enough bark showing, the stringy meat in front does not add to the presentation.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM   #18
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'd go 7, loose the strands and a little more moist looking ( mainly the one piece bottom right ) and I'd bring it to 8-9
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 04:18 PM   #19
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know if you've ever considered it but a competition cooking classes might help you with presentation. The class I've been to spent a lot of time on that topic.

As for the box pictured, I'd give it a 6.
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #20
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest220 View Post
I don't know if you've ever considered it but a competition cooking classes might help you with presentation. The class I've been to spent a lot of time on that topic.

As for the box pictured, I'd give it a 6.
I was going to take a class, but have been turned off by most who run them in this area. Waiting to find a good instructor. I have a few in mind, waiting for their schedules to come out.

Thanks for your input

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 07:02 PM   #21
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Hey OC-

Please share. What has turned you off on the classes around the east coast? I think there are a couple good ones to choose from.

BTW - I'd give the box a 6, just nothing special, but not aweful either.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 07:07 PM   #22
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
Hey OC-

Please share. What has turned you off on the classes around the east coast? I think there are a couple good ones to choose from.

BTW - I'd give the box a 6, just nothing special, but not aweful either.
I'll take your class if you give one along with many other people in the area. Just a few classes out there that have heard are expensive and thats all they are. I am sorry YankeeBBQ, he will take offense to this even though I am not talking about him.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 12-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #23
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

I'm waiting for Tuffy to give a class. I'll be the first in line

I thought about giving a class, but it would be geared toward backyard cooks, not comp cooks.

I do recommend the I Smell Smoke Class, it was worth it, for me at least. They really took the time to answer any and all questions. I didn't think the price was too high either. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #24
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

I like this thread, from the comments, it looks like I'm on the mark when I'm scoring appearance. As it is, I would probably go 6, maybe 7.

On my monitor, that pork looks moist, but the box is unbalanced. Either leave out the shredded, or frame the chunks with some on the other 3 sides. I find it interesting that one comment was about the color of the sauce, which I don't even see on my monitor. I had to go back to look at the garnish, since I was looking at the meat arrangement. It seems fine, maybe could be neater, but no biggie.

I like Kuya's comment, that's totally what you want, for the meat to say "eat me now!"

Old 12-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #25
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
I'm waiting for Tuffy to give a class. I'll be the first in line

I thought about giving a class, but it would be geared toward backyard cooks, not comp cooks.

I do recommend the I Smell Smoke Class, it was worth it, for me at least. They really took the time to answer any and all questions. I didn't think the price was too high either. Just my 2 cents.
Tuffy is cool smoke correct?
As far as you go, let me know if you are doing anything, I would attend.
I actually contacted them about their class but I am not sure they want me there after todays events. OH WELL!

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 12-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm actually going to say 5. It looks worse than average. Other than the strands, there seems to be no logic behind the placement at all. It looks a total mess.

If this was 13th, I'm betting that taking the strands out would have put you in top 10. Obviously, it must have been much better than it looks, but appearance couldn't have helped you. Those stringy strands should never make their way to your box. They dry out quickly and are chewy. If a judge took them, your tenderness scores will suffer. The two pieces on the top were probably what helped you the most. They are the pieces I'd grab for. They have bark and will be tender. Those are the right pieces you want in your box.

Long stringy pork is bad ju-ju.

Good luck.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 08:39 PM   #27
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

Something is in the air. Must be winter and a bad economy combo.

We havent taken a class and we expect to win every contest we enter. If we dont, its Matts fault.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #28
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Thanks for everyones input. I will 86 the strands, the pork tasted decent. I was actually surprised on the alsmost decent finish. I will put more thought into placement. Pork here, pork there.

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine

Old 12-17-2008, 08:48 PM   #29
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC PIG ASSASSINS View Post
Thanks for everyones input. I will 86 the strands, the pork tasted decent. I was actually surprised on the alsmost decent finish. I will put more thought into placement. Pork here, pork there.
I bet is was fantastic. In the end, taste rules!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #30
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I bet is was fantastic. In the end, taste rules!
Especially when I stuff my fat arse after turn ins

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine