MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #1
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Default Maiden trial on pork sholder

Having mixed results this morning,

The initial break-in/smoke was not impressive... on Saturday... 300 degrees max with Cowboy lump. Mistake #1.

Grabbed 4 bags Royal Oak (natural wood) for the pork shoulder.
Lesson learned.

Raised bed.. might be too tall. Had difficulty maintaining temp.
Took a alum. oven liner (full surface coverage) and placed directly over cooking surface (grill). Temps improved immediately. Had to throttle down intakes.

Too much air shot flames into smoke chamber and consume water pan. Increased flame warped smoke box. No good. Mistake #2. Raised water pan.

Paint blistered... and was warned by the Brethren.

Now its only 3 hours into the shoulder and have already gone through 10 lbs. Royal Oak and am humbled by the learning curve.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Respectfully yours,
PA (Smokin' in progress)
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
CajunSmoker
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: Rolling down the river between St Louis and New Orleans

Welcome to the world of the BSKD

It's usually best to try and keep a fairly small fire going so you don't overheat. I usually put a couple of chimneys of unlit in and add a little less than full chimney of lit on the side by the smoker unit. Make small adjustments and then give the smoker time to adjust before you make another one. Here is a picture of typical start up for me for a long smoke. This will run my BSKD for about 4 - 5 hours. The bent pieces of metal help keep all the coals from lighting at one time. I ground down and repainted this about 2 months before this pic was taken, so be prepared to rust on your firebox.

Keep working with it and you'll get the hang of it.

How y'all are? I'm glad you got to see me I guarontee Justin Wilson 4/24/1914 - 09/05/2001
CAJUN QUE KREWE Proud ARKLAFO
KCBS member & CBJ#24398
Twin Ugly Drum Smokers
Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe
Brinkman Gourmet ECB with super chicken mods
Weber OTS kettle
CajunSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote