A Lot of Work and The Reward

chinesebob

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, some of you may remember that last week my little girl got picked up from Dr. Jay and Dr. Steve. They produced a beautiful 900lb baby girl we have are affectionately calling 'Ginny Lee after my Grandmother.

Well after cooking Saturday and Sunday last week, then lovingly cleaning and preparing her for this week I put her to the test today.

About 2AM I put 120lb of pork shoulder. At 2:30AM after making sure she had plenty of fuel for the fire I retired for a 3 hour nap. (never can do that with my chargrillers).

6AM rolls around and I realize I overslept but instead of panicking I see to my complete and utter joy that the temp in the cooking chamber hadn't dipped and more importantly the meat temp hadn't fallen too low.

The day continued and we pulled the meat off at 2PM and then fired up a chimney so we could roast 240 ears of corn. While this was in process and the meat was setting up I put on 30lb of green beans.

At the end of the day my brother in law, my wife, and 2 of my neighbors helped me to pull off a huge gig for our little catering company that we couldn't have done without our little 'Ginny. It was the best meat I've ever produced in my history of cooking. It was moist, the right amount of flavor, fell apart in my hands etc.

We served it to 125 people that were a mix of Childrn and Adults. It didn't last 2 hours.

I thank all of you for your help and encouragment, Jay for producing such an outstanding smoker, and my wife for not killing me for destroying her kitchen.

Pics will follow tomorrow but today I'm exhausted and have to get some sleep.

Holy carp Bob,

You really know how to break in a new cooker,

And FAST!

Congrats

Congrats.
Did you take any pics of the cook?
It sounds like you have a great piece of equipment. Getting a few hours of sleep makes all of the difference in the world when you find yourself doing a lot of overnight cooks.

The pit looks beautiful.

Way to go Bob!
One of these days, when I am independently wealthy or a rich relative dies, I, too, will have a Spicewine.

Get out of bed and post some pix of that new smoker in action... Sounds like you pulled off some great Q, congrats

Scot

Way to go Bob!!!

Like the rest of the boys, I want to see the pics.

Pics as promised

Here are the pics I've been promising:

567022477_a06c3fd959.jpg

Sucker! Brother in law came in to help.

567030831_5a371aeac8.jpg

Pre Rub Down

567027515_4b5bb5165e.jpg

Post Rub down - 60lbs of pork shoulder

566635240_fd43433995.jpg

On the smoker - less than half full!

567039457_d20759d258.jpg

Pre-pull - every single shoulder fell apart as we we were wrapping them.

566643044_aea36d223f.jpg

Roasted Corn

566647740_9d1963cf34.jpg

Finished product - 1 of 15 tins

it was a ton of work but we got it done

Deleted because the links are working for me now....Sorry Bob...:oops::roll:

Last edited:
That is some good looking food, and I agree. When you break in a new cooker, you don't half step.

Impressive

That must have been a lot of owrk to pull all of that off. It looks great.

Bob, one heck of a job you pulled off. Without help im sure you would have been sunk.
Thats why I turn down catering jobs left and right. Hard to get good help, hard to do it alone.
Congrats on you and your staff.

Back