• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

New take on the ABT - Sauerkraut Jalapeno Poppers

B

BrooklynQ

This was on German Foods.org Looks interesting. Can be adapted to the smoker.
Sauerkraut Jalapeno Poppers & Bavarian Mustard Dip

Jalepeno-Poppers_000.gif
Find more featured recipes in our archives
Makes: 12 servings
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup German Pilsner beer
12 large jalapenos, about 3 to 4 inches long
1 1/2 cups Bavarian-style sauerkraut with wine
8 ounces (2 cups) coarsely shredded German Tilsiter or German Emmentaler cheese
1 quart vegetable oil, for deep-frying
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
Bavarian Mustard Dip (recipe below)

Combine flour and German lager beer in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Let stand at room temperature while preparing jalapenos.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cut a lengthwise slit down one side of each jalapeno, starting just below stem. Place jalapenos in the water, and return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes or until jalapenos are just tender and not too soft. (Do not overcook. If chilies are too soft, they will be difficult to stuff without tearing.) Drain and refresh under cold running water. Wearing rubber gloves, carefully scrape out the seeds and membrane inside jalapenos using a small spoon or a melon baller. For hotter poppers, leave in some of the seeds.

Drain sauerkraut and squeeze out excess liquid. Place sauerkraut on several thicknesses of paper towels, top with additional paper towels and press to squeeze out liquid. Combine sauerkraut and Tilsiter or Emmentaler in a small bowl and stir to mix well. Carefully fill each jalapeno cavity with about 3 tablespoons of the sauerkraut mixture. (The edges of the peppers do not have to seal.)

Heat the oil for deep-frying in a large heavy deep-sided skillet or pot to 375°F. Place the cornstarch in a shallow dish and, working with a few jalapenos at a time, dredge in cornstarch. Dip each jalapeno in beer mixture to coat completely. Fry jalapenos in batches, about 3 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Sprinkle peppers with the salt. Serve with mustard dip.

I'd probably leave off the breading, wrap them in bacon and smoke them like turds. - BrooklynQ

Bavarian Mustard Dip:
3/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons Bavarian mustard
Combine sour cream and mustard in a small bowl and stir to mix well.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH yeah baby. I'm doing it next saturday. A local bar snack is mini reubens. Just breaded and deep fried saurkraut and swiss cheese wrapped in thin sliced corned beef.

OOH Man - Damn you made me hungry. I want a Reuben! But tomorrow at lunch I'm at a client who's a vegan. It's gonna have to wait. Damn!

Kevin said:
OH yeah baby. I'm doing it next saturday. A local bar snack is mini reubens. Just breaded and deep fried saurkraut and swiss cheese wrapped in thin sliced corned beef.

I've had like that in North Dakota. What do you call them?

thirdeye said:
I've had like that in North Dakota. What do you call them?

Around here they just call them "mini reubens" or "reuben balls". I'm thinking this will take much research and many trial and error sessions to perfect. Perhaps all weekend instead of mowing the lawn! And copious amounts of beer to cool the pallet from sampling the spicy snacks. All in the name of research!

Go for full fledged farking taste... Smoke em till they are 3/4 way done with or without bacon then deep fry those bad boys off...... Naughty!

LOL

I'll be an atmosphere producing machine after a couple of those.

Sounds great! Can't wait to hear how they turned out.

Finaly got around to trying a variation on these today. Cream cheese, swiss cheese, saurkraut and chopped thin sliced corned beef stuffed in a jap and smoked. Outstanding. Will do again.

Ron_L said:
And the pictures are where? :-D

I ate em. But got another half dozen for later when the rest of the kids come over. I'll snap a pic.

Ta Da

Ron_L said:
And the pictures are where? :-D

Clockwise from top:
Chusck Roast
Cheezy Taters
Beans
Pork
Reuben Japs in the middle.

I had to fight off the feeders to get the pic taken before they took the japs.

Attachments

• Reuben Japs.JPG
    Reuben Japs.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 84
Kevin said:
Clockwise from top:
Chusck Roast
Cheezy Taters
Beans
Pork
Reuben Japs in the middle.

I had to fight off the feeders to get the pic taken before they took the japs.

Thank you... I feel complete. :eek:

Looks great!

Back