MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #1
locosmoke
On the road to being a farker

Default planning a pig roast. HELP!

ok so here it is the new shirley is almost done!!!! Planning a break in party thinking of whole hog. Question one how many lbs. pig per person? Any tips on cooking racer style.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

The rule tends to be 1 Lb pre-cooked per person... should give everybody enough meat for a sandwich.

I certainly wouldn't do a whole hog as a first cook on any new piece of equipment though.. are you already very familiar with the particular cooker that you've ordered from Shirley? Offsets all run a bit differently and last thing you want to do is ruin an expensive pig while you're learning the pit.

Good luck and you have much bigger balls than I.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 AM   #3
bschoen
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothBoarBBQ View Post
Good luck and you have much bigger balls than I.
Careful! There is a thread in the Woodpile that could get someone hurt with that kind of assertion.
bschoen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
wbratt1

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default planning a pig roast. HELP!

I just did one for my 40th and had to rent a smoker as I don’t own one big enough. While everything turned out great, my biggest struggle was learning the smoker on the fly. If you have time, I recommend using your new smoker a few times to get the hang of it.

As far as process, I cooked a 90lb heritage pig that I butterflied. Started belly down for about 4 hours to crisp the skin and let some grease drain out and then flipped and finished belly up as my plan was to pull it all and have people serve themselves it of the belly. We fed about 75 adults and had plenty of leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wbratt1; 05-10-2018 at 11:46 AM..
wbratt1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-10-2018, 01:20 PM   #5
Shagdog
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I estimate at 1lb raw per person and always end up with lots of leftovers. 80 people = 80lb hog. Especially with sides, this is usually plenty.

As to cooking racer, I like to put 2-3 cabbages in the cavity near the rear of the pig. It will protct the loins, and help the pig keep a nice shape (so he doesn't cave in in the middle) Props to GTR and DwFisk for that trick. I recommend injecting it heavily, and put something in his mouth to hold it open if you plan on putting an apple there when he's done.

Here's my first hog on my shirley -

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=232562

Come Join the fun in the Throwdowns!

Shirley Fabrication 24x70 Trailer - UDS - Weber Kettle - WGA - Fire Pit Rotisserie - Shirley-Shagstone Griddle/Wok Cart - Carson Rodizio

2016 Official BBQ Brethren Ribeye Master

Shagdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
CT-Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I recently cooked a 105# hog in NC on Ol’ Mortimer at a BGE get together. It was butterflied but I cooked it cavity up to hold the moisture in. I propped a firewood split on the outside of each rib cage to help maintain a bowl shape to hold moisture. It was injected heavily and many of those NC boys said it was the best whole hog they ever tasted. I took that as high praise.

[url]www.facebook.com/goindeepbbq[/url]
CT-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-10-2018, 03:23 PM   #7
mowin
Full Fledged Farker

I only had one test cook on my offset before doing a 90# hog. Mine was butterflied, and the entire cook was belly down. Came out fantastic.
"Elizabeth Ann" bubba grills 250 ribbox RF offset.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #8
locosmoke

thank y'all for advice will let y'all know outcome should be june 23rd

Old 05-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
locosmoke

what injection are people using for whole hog?

Old 05-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

If I can give one piece of advise that I learned the hard way - overestimate how much time you think the cook will take. There's no way to speed up the hog in a pinch but you can always reheat what's already pulled/sliced if need be.
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #11
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locosmoke View Post
what injection are people using for whole hog?
Chris Lily's injection (but using only 1/2 the salt called for) is very popular and for good reason. But - I've been using Sweet Brine O'Mine and that stuff is fantastic. I ate some 'cue from the guy who makes it at a contest a while back and figured whatever he did would be the right thing to do, 'cause they were putting out some absolutely righteous eats.

It is by no means necessary to inject, but I'd say if you have a chance to get a little more flavor in there, then may as well do it. All of it's good! I'll inject a pig anywhere from 2-10 hours before cooking.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #12
Jason TQ

Just do it! I love doing new things for large groups of people. My first whole hog last October I cooked with a few buddies who hadn't done it either....and it was to serve a few hundred people to raise money for a kids charity so........what could possibly go wrong?? Rolled out my Shirley and tossed it on and 10hrs later it was ready to go.

Not to downplay cooking a whole hog, but it was the normal "cook it until it is done". Threw it on, cooked until probe tender. At no point did I feel like it was complicated. That being said I know things can always improve, but just saying get out there and do it! Pretty much treated it like a large hunk of meat and then pulled/chopped it all up at the end. Best pulled pork I've had.

We did inject with a lily'esq injection on a 90'ish hog.

Old 05-11-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
gtr

^^^yup. seems to me what it's kinda really about is tending a fire. the hog will basically fall in place if you keep the fire good - don't let the fire go out and don't let the pig catch on fire, as they say.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
locosmoke

thanks for tips and encouragement! I think I'm gonna try the sweet brine o mine