how hard is it to become a CBJ?

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
i have been wondering recently how hard it is to become a certified bbq judge. i have been noticing comps pop up in my area and i've been thinking about taking the plunge.

are there study materials?

are there different tests for different regions?

is it pass/fail? how often does someone fail?

tia.

All you need to do is take the CBJ class. If you are already a KCBS member, the price should be a bit lower, otherwise the cost of the class will also include a 1 year KCBS membership.

It really is as simple as that. No test at the end, no pass/fail.

What sanctioning bodies are showing up in your area? Taking a judges class for that specific body would do it I would think. I've been thinking of going to one for MIM/MBN in Memphis.

Many times the Competition Reps will come in a day or so early to hold classes for CBJ & Table Captain. Check with the local comp organizers to see if any around you are doing that. Basically take the class and you're certified. Usually a portion of the class fee goes towards your first year's dues to the KCBS. Cheers!!!

wait what seriously?

Yes that is correct. There are many threads on the subject/debate of the education of judges, continuing education, etc. For KCBS at least there isn't a test at the end. That is just how they roll. I'm not saying right or wrong as again there are many threads already on that subject where people have discussed the pros/cons of how KCBS does it, if you want to search for more.

Yes, seriously.

Boggles the mind. They don't even hold up a mirror to make sure everyone in the class is alive.

Of course, we've heard snoring before on the KCBS BoD recording so I guess we shouldn't be surprised.

no wonder people complain about scoring so much.

i don't really get that their is no testing.

i know certified beer judges have to take both a written (hard as fark) test as well as a tasting test at a later date, provided you pass the written test, 'graded' by master judges.

Yes that is correct. There are many threads on the subject/debate of the education of judges, continuing education, etc. For KCBS at least there isn't a test at the end. That is just how they roll. I'm not saying right or wrong as again there are many threads already on that subject where people have discussed the pros/cons of how KCBS does it, if you want to search for more.

thanks. i'll check it out. i don't get over to the comp forum much since i don't cook or judge in comps..........yet.

In the KCBS class you will learn the basic guidelines. You will learn how to become a good judge in your first 5 or 6 contest. Keith

no wonder people complain about scoring so much.

i don't really get that their is no testing.

i know certified beer judges have to take both a written (hard as fark) test as well as a tasting test at a later date, provided you pass the written test, 'graded' by master judges.
I wish KCBS did this.

In the KCBS class you will learn the basic guidelines. You will learn how to become a good judge in your first 5 or 6 contest. Keith

This is true, because even if there was a test you still don't have really any experience actually eating the food and honing in on the actual process of eating meat and judging it. Yes a test would confirm they learned/remember most of the information taught, but how soon after that test could it easily be forgotten anyways.

I just took the KCBS CBJ class last Friday. It's no sweat, we did get to mock judge some BBQ at the end. I will say I was unimpressed with what was presented to us. I actually think that it was better not to see perfect BBQ and it was beneficial to know what to score down for and how to find flaws in presentation and the like. Beyond the challenge of cooking comp Q for 120 people, there were purposeful mistakes made to educate. I did leave feeling better about my own BBQ though. Bonus.

Other sanctioning bodies do it much different. I'll use 2 as an example of just how different they can be: MBN (was MIM), and GBA

1. You'll attend a fairly long class. They're fairly extensive. For MBN (if it's still how I did it when it was MIM), it was an all day class. GBA was 4 or 5 hours, as best I recall...

2. Both have tests. MIM used to have 2 tests, and entrance test and an exit test. Yes, some people fail and are not considered "trained". Taking the class and passing the tests DOESN'T make you a CBJ in either MBN or GBA; it makes you "trained".

3. Both then require that you judge 2 contests as a trained judge before becoming "certified". MBN actually has teams critique their on-site judges. It's rather interesting...

Then, the continuing education is fairly similar, from what I understand.

I'm sure other sanctioning bodies do it different from KCBS as well...

So, to the very first question, which IMHO wasn't really answered except for KCBS only folks, was:

are there study materials? In some, yes, but in most, no. They aren't the same.

are there different tests for different regions? Not that I know of within any 1 sanctioning body, but the various sanctioning bodies do them VERY differently, because their definitions are different, and their type of judging and scoring are VASTLY different.

is it pass/fail? how often does someone fail? In KCBS, from what I've read, no. However, in other sanctioning bodies, YES. I had 2 people fail in my MIM class way back when....

Back