equipment (the basics) question

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
any suggestions on a basic setup that i can use for one competition this summer. i'm going to use wsms, but because i may only be able to do one contest this year, i don't want to get anything that is not absolutely essential. thanks.
phil

rookiedad said:
any suggestions on a basic setup that i can use for one competition this summer. i'm going to use wsms, but because i may only be able to do one contest this year, i don't want to get anything that is not absolutely essential. thanks.
phil
Take a look here--especially post #10 from Chad.
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13079&highlight=equipment

The best thing to do is get what you think you might need then "set up" in the yard. Cook all four meats under the clock, just like an event.
Do not even eat personal meals inside the house--see what you need for nourishment and pack what you really need to survive.
Anything you actually use-pack it. Leave the rest at home.
Canopies are needed if it is hot or wet. Otherwise??
Try to "prepack" rubs, sauces, injections, etc (if possible)--saves a lot of items to pack, cleanup, and avoids mistakes.

You actually NEED very little. Most of us WANT a lot of stuff :lol:

Search or browse in the rest of the Comp threads and you will find a lot of tidbits of good fuidance.

TIM

Hi Phil... When I did my first solo competition (a local rib cookoff), I drove these guys crazy with my preperations. Here's a link to my post with my equipment list...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=183755&postcount=31

Look at the post and the ones following it to see what others suggested i add. Keep in mind that this was for a rib cookoff, not for a full blown KCBS event, but the basics should be close.

rookiedad said:
phil

Most everything you need, you probably have at home already. There are a couple of lists on the forum. The only thing you will absolutely need that you may or may not have already, or they will not let you cook, is a few coolers and a canopy. They will absolutely not let you do your prep work out in the sun, The meat inspector will not let you start preparing your meat without it. At Grillkings the team next to us picked up and left, when Murray Saltzman would not let them do the meat prep out in broad daylight (they had no cover). Phil, if you don't have one, I would be happy to loan you one.

Phil, my question is W(hy)TF would you only wanna do ONE comp this season?????? If you're gonna go to the expense of putting together that stuff for one, why not do more?? If you haven't done one before, I'll tell you right now, you're gonna be addicted! Like the Lay's potato chip commercials... no one can cook just one!

thanks for these suggestions! Guy, thanks for your nice offer to let me borrow a canopy, but i think i have access to one of these already... thanks though! Jeff, i would love to do more, but i work right through the weekends, i am going to take off to do grill kings to give it a shot, have the experience and have some fun. also because its close to home. who knows, maybe i'll take more weekends off in the future.
phil

good plan, Phil but if you're only doing one this year, you'd better do it late in the season. One early and I'm betting you're hooked! LOL!

Phil.. alot of us wil be at grill kings, and what ya don thave, one of us will have... just make sure ya have prep tables, wash tubs, clorox and meats. Thats what they look for. Things you dont realize u forgot until its too late... .. extension cords, power stips, garden hose and Y connectors for the hose. So as time gets closer, we can make sure everyone is covered.. I got canopys too, so between us and w fat polocks, we'll have ya covered(yes, thats a pun)... :)

I can't wait for the Grill Kings this year! With all the Brethren teams it'e gonna be a great time. I am gonna have to get a street sign that says "BBQ Brethren Way" and put it up. I'm psyched for this one.

will be at belmont Race track on Long Island.

One day, I'm gonna enter a NE contest just to show you Yankees how it's done back here! LOL! Seriously, I think I'll plan to do a contest in a different part of the country at least once per year to get a feel for different regions. It's Michigan this year though.

One day, I'm gonna enter a NE contest just to show you Yankees how it's done back here!

Hey Jeffie.. 3 words..

:twisted: Fear the Pig. :twisted:

Brothers-in-Smoke.jpg

Whenever your Ready. :mrgreen:

I have no fear... I'm a Pig also! :biggrin: Maybe not as "piggy" as you Long Island boys....

BBQchef33 said:
Hey Jeffie.. 3 words..

:twisted: Fear the Pig. :twisted:

Brothers-in-Smoke.jpg

Whenever your Ready. :mrgreen:

Back