MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks everyone.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #17
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveturkey1 View Post
I didn't know there was an inner membrane layer???
If you use a butter knife and kind of scrap the end it'll break apart and you'll see the 2 sections.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I Stopped pulling it off It all but disappears and my bones are juicer.
I have not removed the membrane in a good while now and notice nothing different except the amount of time spent prepping them, although sometimes depending on how I feel they may get scored.

I have been cooking them whole without trimming anything except if there is a large hunk of fat, that comes off.

Looks like I am becoming more and more the minimalist.
Dave

Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #19
dadsr4
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I have not removed the membrane in a good while now and notice nothing different except the amount of time spent prepping them, although sometimes depending on how I feel they may get scored.

I have been cooking them whole without trimming anything except if there is a large hunk of fat, that comes off.

Looks like I am becoming more and more the minimalist.
Dave
The difference I see is if you leave the outer membrane on, any rub over the outer membrane does not reach the meat. It takes so little effort to remove the outer membrane, that I do it every time. That all the trimming I do before rubbing and cooking.

Last edited by dadsr4; 12-09-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Added "outer"
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #20
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

I just remove the outer. However, there have been occasions where I have removed both and have had no issues with my ribs staying together.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
The difference I see is if you leave the outer membrane on, any rub over the outer membrane does not reach the meat. It takes so little effort to remove the outer membrane, that I do it every time. That all the trimming I do before rubbing and cooking.
I disagree, the outer membrane is seasoned and you will be eating it but like said, sometimes I score it and seasoning may or may not get into it. Ribs are not so thick like a pork butt or brisket, I don't think it is such a big deal. After working in restaurants and prepping ribs in the thousands, 4 or 5 cases 5 to 6 days a week I know how hard or not hard they are to skin. Some do not even season the backside they think it is a wast of money, if you are not going to remove the second membrane then whats the point. I really do think they come out much more juicy when it is left on. Having said all that I suggest everyone should try it or just do it how you like, that is the beauty of bbq, there is more than one way to skin a cat, no pun, what the heck pun intended.
Dave

Old 12-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #22
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

I'm with landarc never seen two I just pull it off to bare bone, never had a problem with them falling apart unless I completely overcook them.

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
Mo-Dave

I apologize for my crap cell phone pic. The first photo shows a knife lifting up the second membrane, exposing bare bone. This is very hard to remove so most give up even trying, if you do you will have a full rack of shiners, so don't do it. The confusion may come when you get a slab that for some reason the top membrane has been remove and you may try to remove the second one thinking it is the top one. Look close at the first bone with the knife and the edge of the second bone, you will see a little bit of what is bare bone and what the whole rib section would look like if it were removed.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1355183686

The second photo shows the top membrane being pulled off by the paper towel this is what most of us pull off. Shiners show up sometimes if the second tuff membrane is damaged or cut usually by the butcher processing the ribs. This later opens up when cooking shrinks it and exposes the bone. As I said, putting a rub on the backside will not do much except flavor the meat above the bones showing and make the membrane taste better I guess. For the purpose of seasoning the meat above the bones I do season the backside, but leave both membranes on.
Dave

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/at...1&d=1355183686
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image12102012162853.jpg (24.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg Image12102012162919.jpg (35.5 KB, 95 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Mo-Dave

Bump

Old 12-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #25
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo-Dave View Post
I have not removed the membrane in a good while now and notice nothing different except the amount of time spent prepping them
Amen brother...I cooked in a farmers market this past summer. First day I pulled membranes on 15 racks of spares. Pain in the ass...so I tried leaving the membrane on the following week. Not only did my customers not notice, it saved a ton of time (grew to 50+ racks each week of the market). I did pull the membranes on the beef ribs, but I only sold like 8 of them each week.

Correction----I had one barbecue nerd the whole summer come up and start analyzing my ribs...my rub wasn't applied evenly, ribs should have been cooked lower and slower, and who did I think I was leaving the membrane on. I politely said if you don't like them you shouldn't buy them. He became a repeat customer....

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #26
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Thanks for the pics and explanation Mo-Dave. I now see what you're talking about regarding the "inner" layer.
Yea...I never messed with that one.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
shares
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberger View Post
are we talking pork here? or does this apply to beef ribs as well?
Beef ribs too - same thing, outer only. But Beef ribs secondary membrane will still be like tough paper when cooked, nobody minds though.

www.TooAshamedToName.com - Competition BBQ Team
shares is online now   Reply With Quote