MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Bending Weber lid for UDS

To all of you out there who have bent their Weber lid to fit a UDS, a few questions:

1) If I understand the technique correctly, you are flaring out the bottom ridge of the Weber lid so it fits around the lip of the barrel, right? Or are you flattening out the ridge and by doing so, making it fit over the lip?

2) What was the fit like BEFORE? I can balance my Weber lid on the UDS and I don't see any gaps. I'm just worried that I wont be able to bend it out enough to cover.

3) After you bend it all the way out and bend it back OVER the lip, how does it look?

Old 11-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

I bent the lip around my drum. It looked bad with the porcelein knocked off but I just reapplied paint :)
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Your other choice is making your UDS fit the lid.

You can do it with the bottom of a kettle, or flat stock that is either welded or pop riveted in.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=147755
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

Mine just sits on top after bending. not enough lip to bend back down and kinda ugly but it doesnt blow off and it mostly seals. I would use flat stock on the barrel if I had a do-over, but it works fine.
cheapbeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 08:29 AM   #5
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks everyone. That is exactly the advice I needed (bend or use flat stock). My stupid @$$ went to the scrap yard and picked up a 5ft piece of flat stock. I was thinking in my head "I only need a 44" piece". That number was the circumference of my fire basket, not the drum.

Back to HD to get a 6ft piece.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Just think in math class we never thought we would use ╥ for anything that mattered.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I used a pair of channel locks and bent the lip but wear safety glasses as the porcelain will take an eye out as it breaks. I used a rubber hammer to gently tap the lip back in place as it fits on the drum.

Remember the lid doesn't have to be perfectly sealed on the drum so if you see some smoke coming out especially after you first fire it up don't be too concerned as it will get a better fit the more you use it and build up a good layer on it.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Not trying to hi jack the thread, but my lid fits almost perfect if i bump the side of the drum with my hand. In y'alls opinion, is it worth screwing with or just leave it be?
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #9
polkaholic
Got Wood.

See how the bottom fits

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
polkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
peaspurple
is one Smokin' Farker

I flattened mine out then put on the drum and hammered down around it. This way it made a new lip.

Perfect fit

Old 11-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

First off, do you have a closed or open top? Basically, did yours come with a removeable top or did you have to cut the top out. There a several ways to go about mounting a weber lid to each style of drum.

Mine is a closed top. Carefully grinded lip until the top fell into barrel. Then ground outside of lip, stopping every so often to test fit lid. Got mine to fit pretty nice. Once you cook on it a few times the seasoning will help it seal. If you decided to go this way, I'll describe more in detail.

Btw, if you do decide to do any grinding, use a soft or "floppy" disk. Not the harder, thicker kind. I learned that the hard way. I ruined the lip on an open top. Hard disk wants to bite in to the lip and gouge. Soft disk conforms more to the radius. :)

Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #12
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I also took a grinder and removed some of the lip that goes around the drum. Helped the lid fit better.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #13
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaspurple View Post
I flattened mine out then put on the drum and hammered down around it. This way it made a new lip.

Perfect fit
Yep. I did the same thing. Flattened out the lip on the driveway pavement, put the lid on the top of the drum where I wanted it, and held it in place while I bent the lip back down around the top of the drum with a rubber mallet.

Worked awesomely. For the first two years, the thing literally "snapped" into place. No leaks whatsoever.

Did have to repaint it, but I was going to do that anyway, so no big deal.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

I have an open top drum. There's about a 1/4" gap from the edge of the lip to the edge of the lid.

I didn't want to ruin the weber lid because I am planning a UDS/WSM combo build. I got a piece of 72" x 1/8 x 2" flat bar for $4.50. I used three c clamps and worked my way round the top and bent the flat bar.

Just a note, the exact size is 72.25" for the drum's ID. I should have a small gap but my BIL will weld that for me.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
jacksedona
Take a breath!

Smile leave it alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Donkeyz BBQ View Post
Not trying to hi jack the thread, but my lid fits almost perfect if i bump the side of the drum with my hand. In y'alls opinion, is it worth screwing with or just leave it be?
it fits leave it alone

http://thebarbecuemaster.net