MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 AM   #1
rcubed3r
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Pros and Cons of Dry Aging

I purchased a 10.5 lb. hunk of standing rib roast for Christmas Eve.
I am considering dry aging for up to a week, but I have never done that before.
What are the pros and cons?
I guess the biggest thing I need to know is if I can somehow ruin the meat by doing this.

Thanx!
Ron
rcubed3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Will32Rod
Full Fledged Farker

If it were me, and the rib roast was in cryovac, I would just wet age in the fridge. Too many varibles and factors involved in dry aging. Dry aging needs to be done in a very climate controled environment.
Will32Rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

+1 on the wet ageing. as will said it has to be in the original cryovak though. if not it wont work.dry ageing steaks for a week will work, but a roast will not benifit much "not as much surface area" also climate has to be perfect for dry ageing.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

plus two

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Whitfield
Knows what a fatty is.

Another reason I wouldn't bother with a 7 day dry age is that the potential risks outweigh any benefits you may see. 7 days is about a quarter of the time you need. I recommend at least 28 days under very closely controlled conditions. It should be great if you leave it in its current packaging until a day or so before cooking.

Old 12-18-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
starvinmarvin
On the road to being a farker

HUGE fan of dry-aging, but agree w/Whit: 7 days is not enough to make a huge difference, and the yield might not work.

I dry age prime strip when I can get it at a good price, and have found that 21 days works best for me. Have the butcher wrap in kitchen towels (change every day) and keep in a stainless pan in the cooler. Keep in mind that between the moisture and the outside stuff you have to cut off, a 14-15lb hunk will only result in 5-7lbs of usable meat. I ran the #'s - If I can get prime strip for $15/lb, the final steaks...after aging/trimming...cost around $35/lb. What that tells me is that $35-40 for a prime, dry-aged strip in a restaurant (or even in a store) is a steal. Not something you're gonna have every day - but holy sh*t is it good.
starvinmarvin is offline   Reply With Quote