Tips for getting wsm butts done by supper

D

Dave Russell

Been cooking butts on the wsm overnight for 14-18hrs since I got the thing, and was convinced that the only way to get pulled pork off the wsm by day was to foil.

Anyway, since I've been waking up 'round four in the morning anyway lately, I had my 7.6 and 7.7pounders on my 18.5" wsm by 4:45 yesterday morning. They turned out great, and I didn't have to guess about how much residual cooking there would be in the foil since I didn't cooler either. Pulled and bagged the first one for leftovers at about 2:00 and actually SLOWED the cook down to finish the second one for supper.

Started off with TWO GALLONS of water in my BRINKMAN pan, one gallon boiling. Lit three spots with my torch and put the wood in the three unlit zones so they'd heat up and start smoking slowly and I wouldn't have to wait for "good smoke". Other than that, changing how I measure temp might've been a big help.

I used to hang my probe in the top vent, but I decided to clip it UNDERNEATH the top grate, with the tip dead center of the grate between the two butts. I reached 225* by 5:00, 250* by 6:30, and targeted that the rest of the day til I slowed things down when I saw that I had more than enough time.

I also went back to my "UDS days", and flipped and rotated the butts 180* at the four and eight hour marks. With water in the pan, temp recovery is very quick, and I only found maybe two square inches worth of hard bark. Tasted good, though. :wink: Another thing I like about cooking by day is that I can MAKE SURE my smoke is right since the wsm has a door. Sometimes just tapping the cooker legs good will get some more smoke going, but I'll reach in and move chunks occasionally. However, I'll often get bad smoke if I TURN OVER the chunks, so I don't do that anymore. :doh:

Anyway, thought I'd encourage any of you other "low-n-slow" wsm-user brethren to enjoy the nice weather cooking, and bring any tips of your own to the table!

I do same day butts once in a while. I cook at 250-275 and it usually takes a little over 1 hr/lb. I use a foiled clay pot base instead of water and don't foil the butt until I take it off. For an 8-9 lb butt, I usually put it on at 6:00AM, take it off at 4:00PM-5:00PM, and do the double foil/towel wrap/cooler thing until I'm ready to pull it, which is right before we eat.

That'll certainly work.

As to keeping the temp up, one thing I noticed yesterday was that the dome gauge can mess with you in nice bbq weather and suggest you slow things down too much. My gauge actually reads only about 200* in boiling water, but it read twenty or so HIGHER than my grate probe after the meat and the sun got hot. In other words, IF I'D BEEN GOING BY THE GAUGE, SUPPER WOULD'VE BEEN LATE. Just something to consider.

Back