MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Default Any Thoughts On Farmers Markets????

Anybody had any experience peddling Q at Farmers Markets? There is a big one close by that charges $15 for a spot all day.

Thought about vacuum sealing a bunch of one pound portions of pulled pork, and maybe jars of sauce. Then set up giving samples and selling the individual packs. Maybe keep a few racks of ribs handy as well.

Thoughts Brethren?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Bigmista has taken selling at farmer's markets to a new level. Several other Brethren sell at them too. Maybe one of them will see your post and chime in.

Your health department will have a lot to say about vacuum sealing and selling pulled pork to the public. Check with them first.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba

I made a small fortune cooking and selling at farmers markets.

Cooking at home, bagging and selling will get you into trouble. If you cant cook it and sell it fresh, forget it.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Im surprised, I was afraid it would be the other way around. I figured cooking on site would draw the attention.

I would actually rather do that. I'll have to see if they have any issues with me bringing my pit out there.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Unless you have a commercial vacuum sealing rig, chances are very good that the HD will not allow you to sell vac packs of BBQ. I've done our local market the last two years. It's a very fun environment, sell a lot of product, and get lots of leads for catering. $15 bucks a day for a spot is a steal! Work the the organizers to get a big enough spot for your pit with some consideration for your neighbors. One time they put me next to a guy selling t-shirts and he was not too happy to have BBQ scented shirts for sale!
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Im surprised, I was afraid it would be the other way around. I figured cooking on site would draw the attention.

I would actually rather do that. I'll have to see if they have any issues with me bringing my pit out there.

It will draw attention.

My point that you cant go about this without knowing what your doing....and being legal.

Offer them $50 for the spot and see if you can set up some picnic tables.

My Sunday farmers mkt. was my bread and butter for the week!
#detroitporkmafia
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Bigmista

Agree with everything that has been said. You would probably need access to a USDA kitchen to vacuum seal meat and sell it. Contact your health department and do it the right way.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

I just signed a contract today for an upscale farmers market, May-October, for $10 a day. I get a 40x20 space. I plan to cook everything onsite. I will put my rig and a small towable kitchen on one side and a bunch of tables and chairs on the other. I am hoping to grow my catering business with the contacts I make and make some coin selling to the masses at the market.

For those of you that have sold at markets, can you give some advice, please? What are your biggest sellers? What do you find doesn't sell well at markets? Were you able to quickly figure out how much to cook? My fear is that I will either cook to little and run out or cook too much and have a ton left over.

Here is a link to my rig. The pics are too big to attach. I need to size them down.

http://www.hoosierculinarysharpening.com/images/shb/

Thanks, in advance.
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
philw
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Chef View Post
I just signed a contract today for an upscale farmers market, May-October, for $10 a day. I get a 40x20 space. I plan to cook everything onsite. I will put my rig and a small towable kitchen on one side and a bunch of tables and chairs on the other. I am hoping to grow my catering business with the contacts I make and make some coin selling to the masses at the market.

For those of you that have sold at markets, can you give some advice, please? What are your biggest sellers? What do you find doesn't sell well at markets? Were you able to quickly figure out how much to cook? My fear is that I will either cook to little and run out or cook too much and have a ton left over.

Here is a link to my rig. The pics are too big to attach. I need to size them down.

Thanks, in advance.
sounds like you are on the right track.
i am going to check out the farmers markets around me ?
philw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
I just signed a contract today for an upscale farmers market, May-October, for $10 a day. I get a 40x20 space. I plan to cook everything onsite.

Thanks, in advance.
How will you cook brisket & butts on site?
#detroitporkmafia
Old 02-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Get there really frickin early.....
Old 02-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #12
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Well as it turns out the one I wanted to sell at already has a BBQ guy.=\

Guess I'll try to find something else in the area.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
Bigmista

Quote:

Thanks, in advance.
My biggest seller has always been the pulled pork sandwich, followed closely by brisket.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #14
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
My biggest seller has always been the pulled pork sandwich, followed closely by brisket.
That's what I figured. I'll also do some ribs and chicken, but mostly pulled pork and brisket.

Thanks.

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]12'x30" Dual Axle Smoker Trailer[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]KCBS Member #61221[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 03-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #15
fireman_pete
Full Fledged Farker

I do a weekly market on Sundays. Market goes from 9am-1pm. I am there cooking at 4:30am, and by 10sam, my butts and brisket are done. Cook at 325 in my FEC.

Have to cook everything on site per our HD.

Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
fireman_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->