MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
today's classic worth another look
Definitely an interesting read. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #32
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I would love to just wrap the Que up in some butcher paper. I hate parsley.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #33
weconway
On the road to being a farker

My first trip to Lockhart changed my life. I convinced 4 buddies to rent a minivan with me and to drive 2300 miles in 69 hours to eat at Kreuz, Smitty's and Blacks. I am FOREVER RUINED.

If you've never tasted true Texas hill country BBQ, you're really missing out.

When I got my cooker I was all full of piss and vinegar to start competing. Now I'm not so much. I'd rather just cook the food I want to eat and not have to conform to some set standard. No offense to those of you on the circuit...

P.S. - Here's the story of my trip to Lockhart...
http://www.ntscblog.com/2006/10/ive-...een-every.html

NASA uses [COLOR=Red]RED[/COLOR] Thermapens. Just sayin'
weconway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #34
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Cooper's, run by the Wooten's I think is not considered by anyone to be a MECCA. Maybe some marketers. They claim the old "BIG CHOP" restaurant as their heritage.

TEXAS MECCAS

Lockhart 2003 Texas Leg made this city, which holds the three oldest BBQ families in Texas) as capitol of BBQ in Texas.

Kreuz Market THE OLD BUILDING (Pronounced Krites) 1900 1999 Rick and Don Schmidt were forced to move to new Building.

Smittys - where the old Kruez Market was but when the Schmidt Family took it over it became Smittys Market in the late 40's.

In short the Kreuz Family started it then Schmidts bought it from them, renamed the old facilty Smittys market in 1948 then in 1999 had a fight with the Kreuz side and moved to a new building calling the new building Kreuz Market (reclaiming a portion of the coals from Smittys market, which was the old Kreuz market before 1948. They kept the name but the Scmidts oddly took the name of the Kreuz as a business.

Blacks (1932) Took the "longest family run BBQ" title away in 1999 when Smittys and Kreuz split.

Southside Market - Elgin, Texas (Vince Mares of the Taylor Cafe came from here in the 40's. Home of the famous Elgin sausage. started in 1886 or so but didn't get run continously until the 1940s.

Taylor Cafe - Taylor Texas also known locally as Vencil's.
Louie Mueller's BBQ 0 Taylor Texas

Sonny Bryan's BBQ - 1910, Dallas, an Oak Cliff location opened in 1935 and 1958 another

Angelos of Fort Worth 1957 (used to be my fav until I went to Lockhart) primarily this joint, which was a bar that had the coldest beer in Texas, served BBQ to sell more beer.
talking about texas icons. it wasn't bbq but bbq was catered on occassion.we did a few private events there & bobby shelton's ranch.

crider's outdoor dance hall outside of hunt on 39.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #35
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

The very words CRIDERS make me cry. As a child and young adult we vacationed in Hunt at Casa Bonita (Now sold and turned into condos). This was Crider's Hey dey and the origin place of the cotton eyed joe (actually it was at the crider's general store long before.

I hid under a table in the early 70's as Big Tough cowboys threw some of the Dallas Cowboys (with their long hair) over that fence. Thats a long way down. The stars at night.... endless. The gualupe river ruinning, the kids and teen couples kissing in those live oaks.

And the dance hall... those echos... a sound only dwight yokum has been able to duplicate in my opinion.

Some people drove 300-500 miles every saturday (WITHIN TEXAS BORDERS) to go there. As you know... there is little west of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
talking about texas icons. it wasn't bbq but bbq was catered on occassion.we did a few private events there & bobby shelton's ranch.

crider's outdoor dance hall outside of hunt on 39.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #36
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Cooper's, run by the Wooten's I think is not considered by anyone to be a MECCA. Maybe some marketers. They claim the old "BIG CHOP" restaurant as their heritage.

TEXAS MECCAS

Lockhart 2003 Texas Leg made this city, which holds the three oldest BBQ families in Texas) as capitol of BBQ in Texas.

Kreuz Market THE OLD BUILDING (Pronounced Krites) 1900 1999 Rick and Don Schmidt were forced to move to new Building.

Smittys - where the old Kruez Market was but when the Schmidt Family took it over it became Smittys Market in the late 40's.

In short the Kreuz Family started it then Schmidts bought it from them, renamed the old facilty Smittys market in 1948 then in 1999 had a fight with the Kreuz side and moved to a new building calling the new building Kreuz Market (reclaiming a portion of the coals from Smittys market, which was the old Kreuz market before 1948. They kept the name but the Scmidts oddly took the name of the Kreuz as a business.

Blacks (1932) Took the "longest family run BBQ" title away in 1999 when Smittys and Kreuz split.

Southside Market - Elgin, Texas (Vince Mares of the Taylor Cafe came from here in the 40's. Home of the famous Elgin sausage. started in 1886 or so but didn't get run continously until the 1940s.

Taylor Cafe - Taylor Texas also known locally as Vencil's.
Louie Mueller's BBQ 0 Taylor Texas

Sonny Bryan's BBQ - 1910, Dallas, an Oak Cliff location opened in 1935 and 1958 another

Angelos of Fort Worth 1957 (used to be my fav until I went to Lockhart) primarily this joint, which was a bar that had the coldest beer in Texas, served BBQ to sell more beer.
So, if a person where to be standing in Lockhart TX, which one should he go eat at? Should he just go to all three (crawl), or make a week of it?

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #37
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiana mark View Post
So, if a person where to be standing in Lockhart TX, which one should he go eat at? Should he just go to all three (crawl), or make a week of it?
yup. make a week of it & hit a few places in austin. magnolia cafe for breakfast & definitely 6th st. @ night if you've never been there.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #38
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
They definately have a following though. In fact, we had them cater our wedding. My wife wore cowboy boots under her dress and we told the guests to wear jeans. Outdoor wedding on a perfect Texas October day.

So, Cooper's definately ranks on my list. Their pork chops are excellent.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
Bulverde
Knows what a fatty is.

Last night I took my wife and kids up to Lockhart. We go there once a month for our barbecue binge. We live just north of San Antonio, in Bulverde.

We went to Chisolm Trail first and had brisket and sausage (and sides). On the way out, we picked up some hot links and a pound of sausage at Kreuz's. This is rare, but I wanted to compare again because of recent threads like this one. I did so in the parking lot.

I really hope that folks will analyze this cliche' very carefully when heading to Lockhart:

"The local people eat at Chisolm Trail"

Think about it. Meditate upon it. Sound each phonetic particle in your mind.

Not only do the local people eat there, but also my family. The reason is because the barbecue is absolutely amazing, and consistently so.

I will never go to Blacks, Smitty's, or Kreuz's again.

As to Coopers, (there is a new one on the way in New Braunfels) they specifically try not to have smoke flavor in their meats. I was told that personally by Mr. Cooper.

We ate at the one in Llano once, before I knew this fact. Then we ate in the new one in New Braunfels right after it opened.

We drive past it every month on our way to Chisolm Trail.

And don't ever get me going about Barbecue in San Antonio ... Bile Millers ...

Bulverde
Bulverde is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2009, 11:14 AM   #40
MilitantSquatter

You had to revive this one Funk ???

It's making my mouth water all over again !!! You can see the simplicity, quality and passion/pride in those pics. It makes the point very easy to understand about traditional vs. "nuevo" and competition bbq.

I really hope I can make a trip there one day just to experience it (good or bad).
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #41
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rate these Boxes (Old School)

Donnie let me know when you want to cook on this one. We can do a fund raiser, for the Texas Elks Childrens Camp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Brick Pit.jpg (75.9 KB, 77 views)

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #42
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Against The Grain View Post
Donnie let me know when you want to cook on this one. We can do a fund raiser, for the Texas Elks Childrens Camp.

Son of a Bitch! Any day and hour any thing!! My God!

Where is this?

I am about to cry... though it needs some care.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

i have to say something about this elks thing. I ahve seen a lot of elks lodges, vfw's, and orgs and Lions org that once were backbones of the community go to the way side as membership lowered.

I would like sincerely to revive this kind of community stuff, get some money flowing in, search for grants or create a niche of grants to revive these types of pits and purposes and get more of these 35-55 members flowing back in.

I have ideas.... I have seen our lions club here dwindle to nothing. Maybe when some of these wonderful soldiers start coming back home we can revive the energy that the men of the Elks and Lions had back in the day. They may still be around, my theory is the diet has changed.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #44
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

"180"'s all...
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #45
Against The Grain
Full Fledged Farker

The pit is at the Elks lodge in Galveston, fun to cook on. We are doing chicken and sausage dinners for Labor Day. Lets try to set up a rib dinner sometime after that. This camp is for kids with special needs, 50 kids a week for 6 weeks each summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chick Dinner.jpg (63.3 KB, 70 views)

Member Lighthouse Charity Team
Elks Lodge 126
Against The Grain is offline   Reply With Quote