Competition Brisket

big brother smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Quick question:

Any of you use kitchen bouquet and/or Poobah's prime rib recipe for comp briskets? If so, please splain the following:

1. results
2. marinating times
3. taste
4. placement in comp/ walks
5. etc or anything you would like to offer

Just doing my homework as it is important for me to beat Bentley's brisket this weekend at the Wishland Comp. Gentleman's wager (donation) is in place to support the Wishland Foundation for kids.

I personally stay away from Kitchen Bouquet for two reasons, turnips and parsnips. then there is carrots, onoins, and celery. In the midwest I like a product called B&V beef additive. Less pot roast taste, more beef and caramel. You might consider a phosphate injection like Fab or Butchers, my favorite. Lots of people wrap to finish, or wrap to rest. My favorite is to braize after color was right. I forgot to mention that I mainly use trimmed flats. My scores went way up in brisket after switching to this way. Hope that helps, good luck Steve

good luck from me as well. see you this weekend.

IBCA judges LOVE kitchen bouquet. Use lots of it.

Quick question:

Any of you use kitchen bouquet and/or Poobah's prime rib recipe for comp briskets? If so, please splain the following:

1. results
2. marinating times
3. taste

Just doing my homework as it is important for me to beat Bentley's brisket this weekend at the Wishland Comp. Gentleman's wager (donation) is in place to support the Wishland Foundation for kids.

I've heard this before, but what exactly does it mean to braize something and how do you do it?

I've heard this before, but what exactly does it mean to braize something and how do you do it?

Braising = cooking in fat and moisture in a closed pot. It's especially used to keep tough cuts of meat (pot roasts, shanks, briskets, etc.) moist and tender.

Foiling is basically braising ... right?

bingo...that is if you cook the meat in the foil

Braising a meat can be a two part process if first cooked or seared over a high temp. Then cooked covered in pot etc partially covered with a liquid that's usually acidic to help continue breaking down the fibers usually at a simmer until fully broken down.

Quick question:

1. results
2. marinating times
3. taste

A little late in the game to be making changes....dance with who brung ya.

I personally stay away from Kitchen Bouquet for two reasons, turnips and parsnips. then there is carrots, onoins, and celery. In the midwest I like a product called B&V beef additive. Less pot roast taste, more beef and caramel. You might consider a phosphate injection like Fab or Butchers, my favorite. Lots of people wrap to finish, or wrap to rest. My favorite is to braize after color was right. I forgot to mention that I mainly use trimmed flats. My scores went way up in brisket after switching to this way. Hope that helps, good luck Steve

Where can we find the Butchers product?

Rick

Thanks for the kind words. At the bottom of my post is my web site.

I have been using Butcher's on my briskets for comps and practice for a while now and I am certainly enjoying the results. Finally turning out a comp brisket I am happy with. and the 5lb bag is enough for tons of briskets...of course I probably go a little light on the injecting when I use it, but I use it per the instructions when mixing it.

Great stuff...

Back