MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:42 AM   #1
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

Default Big Green Egg advise / Mini egg

Howdy folks...

After looking at so many BGE-Prons (thx espc. to Rick ) and some research
i finally decided that i need a BGE.

Problem is, they cost almost 3 times as much over here in germany as they do in the US

I´m looking forward to the SPOGA Cologne Grill trade show in September, with a little luck i might get my hands on a cheap exhibition model.

Until then, i might have the possibility to get a mini egg (9 1/2" grate) shipped from Canada via a friend.

Does anybody have experience with the mini egg ? I´d like to hear some opinions first, even though i think its gonna be nice for cooking smaller stuff
and single meals.( and to get my GAS fever down a bit )

What should i look for when i upgrade to a large egg ? Is the large one big enough or should i try to get a XL egg ? Which eggcessoires are needed ?

Btw, how do you clean the ashes out of the bottom of the egg ?

I wish there´d be an eggfest around here someday.

Cheers,

DM
Don Marco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #2
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I think I need an egg too!

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Dr_KY

Funny thing is I want one too and due to the prices here I need to figure ou how to have one shipped safley.

Whats the weight on them?

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

The small one is "only" 30 pounds and therefore the only one that can be shipped over the pond at a reasonable rate.

The larger ones can be found here :

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs_L.html

The large one is 140 pounds, and i think thats without the nest and side tables.

DM

Old 01-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #5
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

My local BGE dealer just sent 3 or 4 to a guy in England. I would be glad to check on the shipping rates etc for you.

As far as the mini goes... I have never cooked on one but it is really small. I would really try to go for a small if at all possible. I kind of think it is the smallest true Egg. By that I mean the mini is so small I am not sure you could get a hot enough fire to sear a steak, a 9 inch pizza is too small to mess with, and it is too small for a butt or rack of ribs. With the small you could do any of those (and a 12 inch pizza).

As for getting a larger one later... even though I have a XL... I would go with the large. I have been sorry I sold mine. There are more accessories made for the large, the coals are farther away with a normal set up so it is easier to do direct cooks, and the dome is taller. With a large and multiple racks I think you could probably get as much on a large as an XL.

The only accessories I think are mandatory are an ash tool, a plate setter, and a pizza stone (not necessarily the BGE one). With the ash tool you just reach in and scrape the ashes out of the air intake door. The lump makes so little ash you will be surprised at how infrequently you have to do this. The plate setter can be used with the legs up to support your cooking grate so you can cook indirect or with the legs down to provide a higher solid cooking surface for pizza and bread. The pizza stone is needed for... making pizza of course!!!

Best of luck in your search and if either of you want me to check on the shipping from that dealer PM me.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Rick's Tropical Delight

i 've seen the mini in action at the eggtoberfest 'after party' and everyone that has one says it's a steak searin machine! and i think there was a european eggfest, maybe in denmark? i'll see if i can find the details on that for ya.

right now, i have the medium @ 95 pounds and the large @ 140 pounds. those weights are just the egg itself, but you can take out the two inside
ceramic pieces and the weight is reduced by maybe 30 pounds or so...

i'd get the bge pizza stone, because all the other manufacturers stones always seem to break cause they are thinner. and get the 'thirdhand' grid lifter from thirdeye!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have always thought of the mini as a working scale model. Draw a 9" circle on a piece of paper and you will find that one steak, two burgers, etc., is going to be your maximum load per cook. This is fine for one or two. The two reasons most folks have them is they are very portable and they are the best searing machine around. I have seen pictures of some amazing cooks on them.

A small Egg has a cooking grate just a few inches larger, but is a lot more versatile. They can do some slow cooking and some raised direct cooking too. A small may be a better value if you have to choose between the two.

All that said, I have wanted one for years, but I have a large and a small which is a good combination for me.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #8
Plowboy

Comparing the large to the XL, you are adding more space, however, you aren't limited on the Large in terms of what you can cook. A large can handle a packer brisket, prime rib roast, beer can chicken, etc. I've had 6-8 half pound burgers on my large at the same time. You can go vertical on the large to get even more cooking space. I'll be a large will meet your needs and save you money over the XL.

I wouldn't knock a medium either. I'd guess a medium would be easier to manage for low and slow cooks over a small.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

Okay, the large is propably what im looking for. Hope to make a good deal at the trade show, even though thats still 7 month ahead.

Until then im gonna try to get the mini egg, nice searing sounds good to me, i like the looks and sometimes i just need a small and quick grill.

In case i wont see a BGE at the show this year, what about the competitors ? I´ve seen Primo, Kamado and some other keramic cookers at the show last year, how do they compare and what should i look for ?

Cheers,

DM

Old 01-06-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Hi Don,
There will be an eggfest in Amsterdam in June hosted by the distributor. I'm not sure if he will be offering demos but he might.
Guess who might be cooking at SPOGA?
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #11
Don Marco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Guess who might be cooking at SPOGA?

Now guess who´s gonna supply you with cold ones ?

Hope to get the chance to meet you there, Ray.

Any more informations on the Amsterdam event ? Thats only 250 miles away and i consider going there
just for event.
Hope it doesnt happen on the same day as the berlin barbecue festival and the german bbq championchips, wich
will both be held in may, too.

Cheers,

DM

Old 01-06-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Dr_KY

Looks like I need to hop over to Germany in May.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #13
Rick's Tropical Delight

maybe the eggfest was in amsterdam?

anyway, here's a youtube clip where i have no idea what they are saying!

you might try to contact the european distributor:
Big Green Egg Europe
Europe, Netherlands

http://www.biggreenegg.nl
Postbus 53094
2505 AB Den Haag
The Netherlands
Tel: 011-31-70-325-1713
Fax: 011-31-70-323-9512

Old 01-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #14
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I am not sure I can take you owning an Egg DM, what with the food pron you put out already

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #15
Norcoredneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
anyway, here's a youtube clip where i have no idea what they are saying!
I got Kamoda, Tbone, Ribeye. Must be some of the universal words!

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote