MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #181
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Right now, a lot of people are scratching their head , a few others are laughing in understanding. I hope the Brethren appreciate how good we have it here. I know I do.
Alright, now you have to spill the beans, even if it is in a PM.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #182
veryolddog
On the road to being a farker

After reviewing your post, the food quality and the results are absolutely fantastic. The only thing that I see that is wrong is that you are not cooking enough food. That Tank can hold a lot more than you are cooking so you need to cook more.

Enjoy!

Ed
veryolddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #183
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryolddog View Post
After reviewing your post, the food quality and the results are absolutely fantastic. The only thing that I see that is wrong is that you are not cooking enough food. That Tank can hold a lot more than you are cooking so you need to cook more.

Enjoy!

Ed
I have to agree with you, Ed! I'd love to cook more.

Also, I don't have pictures of every cook on it.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #184
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Right now, a lot of people are scratching their head , a few others are laughing in understanding. I hope the Brethren appreciate how good we have it here. I know I do.
Clearly I've missed something by not reading the other forums, but I can guess.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #185
Woody1911a1
Full Fledged Farker

laughing in understanding here . :)
Woody1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #186
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Clearly I've missed something by not reading the other forums, but I can guess.
Lets just say that there was an issue on another site (Josh told me about it) and leave it at that. I, for one, am glad that you hang around here. Me thinks you will more now.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #187
unixadm
Take a breath!

What is the actual measurement of the lower and upper grates? I'm looking at fabricating some stainless grates and would like to order the material before my YS1500 arrives. If you get a moment and can provide this information, I'd very much appreciate it.
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #188
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
What is the actual measurement of the lower and upper grates? I'm looking at fabricating some stainless grates and would like to order the material before my YS1500 arrives. If you get a moment and can provide this information, I'd very much appreciate it.
The bottom rack total is 23.5" x 42", and the top rack is 18.5" x 32.5".

Old 09-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #189
unixadm
Take a breath!

Quote:
The bottom rack total is 23.5" x 42", and the top rack is 18.5" x 32.5".
Awesome. Thank you very much.
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #190
njfoses
On the road to being a farker

Do you leave the YS1500 outside at all times or is it stored in a garage or shed? Im contemplating a YS640 and debating keeping it covered outdoors when not in use.
njfoses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 08:12 PM   #191
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I put my YS1500 in my garage as there is no cover for it. When I had my YS640, I left it outside 24/7 and always covered with the matching Yoder cover at all times when not in use. The Yoder cover is not cheap, but it is amazing quality (like the cookers) and fits very very well. You can really go whichever way you want to with the YS640

Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #192
Ron_L

Have you cooked in cooler weather on the 1500? How about when you had your 640?

we were at a competition this past weekend and the overnight temp was 55, but the guy across from us said that he had all kind of temp problems with his 640.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #193
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Have you cooked in cooler weather on the 1500? How about when you had your 640?

we were at a competition this past weekend and the overnight temp was 55, but the guy across from us said that he had all kind of temp problems with his 640.
For the YS1500, last night was the coolest I had cooked with it. It got down to the upper 50's as a low, and up to about 80 at the end of the cook. I didn't notice any difference with the outdoor weather.

With the YS640, I had cooked with that in everything from 10* and blizzard, to 100* and calm. The only difference was how quick it came up to temp (it took longer to reach temp when it was colder outside) and it did use a little more pellets when it was cold. However, the food was consistent, and the interior conditions (grate temp, evenness from warm spot to cooler spot, cook time, etc) was always the same.

There are many more YS640 owners here that have had more experience and time with the pit than I had, so feel free to chime in. But I never struggled with it due to weather, and I didn't always use the thermal jacket. Actually, I used the jacket in cold weather less that I did without because the comp cart version of the jacket didn't ship until May if I remember right.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:03 PM   #194
DENALI
Knows what a fatty is.

Well heck, decided to come over here from the "big heads" forum.Glad to see this thread here and i really appreciate your input. Thanks again

Last edited by DENALI; 09-22-2013 at 09:28 PM..
DENALI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #195
Ron_L

Quote:
For the YS1500, last night was the coolest I had cooked with it. It got down to the upper 50's as a low, and up to about 80 at the end of the cook. I didn't notice any difference with the outdoor weather.

With the YS640, I had cooked with that in everything from 10* and blizzard, to 100* and calm. The only difference was how quick it came up to temp (it took longer to reach temp when it was colder outside) and it did use a little more pellets when it was cold. However, the food was consistent, and the interior conditions (grate temp, evenness from warm spot to cooler spot, cook time, etc) was always the same.

There are many more YS640 owners here that have had more experience and time with the pit than I had, so feel free to chime in. But I never struggled with it due to weather, and I didn't always use the thermal jacket. Actually, I used the jacket in cold weather less that I did without because the comp cart version of the jacket didn't ship until May if I remember right.
Thanks! That's pretty much what I expected to read. I'm not sure why this guy was having such problems.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Tags
food pron, pellet cooker, pellet grill, pellet smoker, smoke, Yoder, Yoder Smokers, Yoder YS1500