• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

I know there's some Dutch folks here...

GARNAAL

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Nice! I'll make a note of this one for future reference, my doubts are that they have some of the best cooks in the world as far as that particular cuisine goes (sure they had the spice trade, but the spices don't make the food ;) ) I'm always up for trying something new though!

When you said Dutch, I thought we were going to get some PA Dutch Amish cooking. :wink:

Well aware. They were a lot of my neighbors for years (in NW PA Amish country - not Lancaster). I'm just so use to calling them "Dutch" that I honestly thought I was going to see German food.

i think the germans are refered to as black dutch.
maybe phubar would like that book.

So I ran one recipe through bing, and here is what I got:

BABI MERAH (spicy pork with santen)
500 grams of pork
6 red lomboks cut
4 cloves garlic finely chopped
2 onions chopped
½ block santen
2 dl water
2 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon of laos
1 Sajid lemon grass
1 teaspoon shrimp paste
2 teaspoons asem
Salt

Cut the meat into dice. Fry the sliced onion, garlic, shrimp paste, Lemongrass and lomboks with the laos in some oil. Add the meat and the asem. When the meat turns brown, add the diluted hydrogen chloride santen. If the gravy is thick enough
and the meat is tender, the dish is ready.

santen = ? asem = ? lomboks = ? laos=? sajid = ?

I'm guessing lomboks are potatoes and sajid means "stalk"

It looks like the cook kept switching from Imperial to Metric, too.

Hydrogen chloride scares me, because that's an acid, unless something was lost in the translation.

Can one of our Dutch Brethren translate this dish?

Update: asem candis Notes: This is a souring agent used in Indonesia. It's very hard to find. Substitutes: kokum
santen = concentrated coconut creme
lombok = chili.....yikes
laos = galangal

Back