MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #31
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I don't like the spacing on those, either (except the Superior) I cooked on a Rebel 23 this past weekend and if I used one for competitions I would only use three shelves. I would leave out the second shelf down, and not use the bottom shelf. On my Party I had the rails built for 4 equally spaced shelves. 4" or 4.5" just isn't enough clearance for big butts without taking off some rub, so with the stock spacing butts would go on the third shelf down or the bottom shelf. The same would be true for a big brisket. We had one on Saturday that wouldn't fit in the 3.5" shelf spacing on the Rebel, and from looking at it it would have been very tight at 4.5"

I like the equal 6" spacing on the Assassin 28 much better, but the weight would be an issue.

I'm still impressed by your Assassin. It's just that my primary use is for competitions and the tighter spacing on the top two shelves would be limiting for me. I'm sure that Jeff could do one with four equally spaced shelves, or even with one less shelf if asked.
Ron,

I am having one built right now, I have had multiple conversations with Jeff on the phone about configurations of the racks. The one I ordered was the 28, after long consideration with what I needed which was going to be heavy on the competition side as well as catering as I do want to do that on the side if anyone wants my bbq. The rack configuration I did as I tried to maximize space while giving me enough room for all 4 categories.

From the top to the bottom, the first 4 racks are 3.5" then the last two are 5". Which is perfect for mass catering, ton of room for ribs, chicken and the bottom two to max out with 12 butts at a minimum. Now for the competition side, I can remove the top and the third rack which will give me 7", 7", 5", 5". The assassin 28 is obviously heavier but I needed the room and from what I see and understand it is easily movable on hard surfaces and plywood so I dont expect any issues as 95% of time it will be on a concrete/asphault. I personally think this was the best set up for an Assassin 28. Total 6 rack space brings my assassin to just over 3700 sq inches which will be over 200 sq inches more than a maxed out 5 rack stump stretch. For $3000 and another $50 per rack, $3100 out the door thats insane.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #32
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
Ron,

I am having one built right now, I have had multiple conversations with Jeff on the phone about configurations of the racks. The one I ordered was the 28, after long consideration with what I needed which was going to be heavy on the competition side as well as catering as I do want to do that on the side if anyone wants my bbq. The rack configuration I did as I tried to maximize space while giving me enough room for all 4 categories.

From the top to the bottom, the first 4 racks are 3.5" then the last two are 5". Which is perfect for mass catering, ton of room for ribs, chicken and the bottom two to max out with 12 butts at a minimum. Now for the competition side, I can remove the top and the third rack which will give me 7", 7", 5", 5". The assassin 28 is obviously heavier but I needed the room and from what I see and understand it is easily movable on hard surfaces and plywood so I dont expect any issues as 95% of time it will be on a concrete/asphault. I personally think this was the best set up for an Assassin 28. Total 6 rack space brings my assassin to just over 3700 sq inches which will be over 200 sq inches more than a maxed out 5 rack stump stretch. For $3000 and another $50 per rack, $3100 out the door thats insane.
Dabomb, you'll love it. My Assassin is an outstanding piece of equipment, cranks out delicious BBQ while allowing Daddy to get some sleep. I'm looking forward to hearing about your first few smokes on it.
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #33
treytexag
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaQ View Post
Nice video, great smoker. I am sure you will enjoy it. One thing I started doing with my gravity feed smokers was cut a small piece of plate and put it over the charcoal chute under the lid, that will keep all of the mositure inside the cute and keep the top of the charcoal cute and the gasket dry. It works for me.

I sorta' have an idea of what I think you're talking about. Would you be so kind as to explain this in a little more detail, or perhaps post a pic. I'd like to see exactly what you're suggesting - it does sound like a good idea!
treytexag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #34
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking rig and from the comments sounds like you have done yourself well.

Really enjoyed the video and look forward to more of them!!

Thanks for sharing.
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #35
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobdabomb View Post
Ron,

Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Jeff. Nice guy! I understand his reasoning for the shelf configuration in the original Assassin, but to me it's backwards. I would much rather have butts on top, then briskets, not the other way around. I like pork juice dripping on beef, not beef juice dripping on pork. Your idea is a good one, but I am very concerned about the weight of the 28. I asked Jeff if he could put no-flat "pneumatic" wheels on it to make it easier to move, 650-ish pounds is probably too much for my wife and I to handle if we have to take it up and down the toy hauler ramp.

I really don't need another cooker. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #36
PaPaQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Clyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by treytexag View Post
I sorta' have an idea of what I think you're talking about. Would you be so kind as to explain this in a little more detail, or perhaps post a pic. I'd like to see exactly what you're suggesting - it does sound like a good idea!
Pics will probably be better, will do tonight.
PaPaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #37
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Thanks!
I really don't need another cooker. I don't know why I'm even thinking about this
I know how you feel...just seeing the video makes me want one though. It's a beautiful and well put together cooker.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #38
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
I know how you feel...just seeing the video makes me want one though. It's a beautiful and well put together cooker.
Wait until you see one in person

We cooked on NThole's Rebel 23 this past weekend. It did a great job on everything that we threw in there, and it was a lot of food

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 07-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #39
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

This is how ours setup. Easy to move and load.

Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #40
Ron_L

Is that a 23 or a 28? Did Jeff build it that way for you or did you do that after you received it?

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #41
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Is that a 23 or a 28? Did Jeff build it that way for you or did you do that after you received it?
That's a 17, portability was a concern for us. It's plenty big enough for our style of comp cooks. Jeff set it up with the wheels.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #42
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Man View Post
That's a 17, portability was a concern for us. It's plenty big enough for our style of comp cooks. Jeff set it up with the wheels.
OK. It really didn't look like the 23, but I wasn't sure.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #43
PekingPorker
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, reading through the rest of this post and watching that video again has pushed me over the edge. I'm calling Jeff today to order an Assassin!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #44
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PekingPorker View Post
Yep, reading through the rest of this post and watching that video again has pushed me over the edge. I'm calling Jeff today to order an Assassin!
Great! I know a handful are on the edge here of doing so, so hopefully any info we can provide on more details just let us know. Cant wait to drive down to Macon and pick mine up next Saturday!

What are you looking at going with the original or the 28?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #45
dobdabomb
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Thanks!

I just got off the phone with Jeff. Nice guy! I understand his reasoning for the shelf configuration in the original Assassin, but to me it's backwards. I would much rather have butts on top, then briskets, not the other way around. I like pork juice dripping on beef, not beef juice dripping on pork. Your idea is a good one, but I am very concerned about the weight of the 28. I asked Jeff if he could put no-flat "pneumatic" wheels on it to make it easier to move, 650-ish pounds is probably too much for my wife and I to handle if we have to take it up and down the toy hauler ramp.

I dont see an issue with you not being able to put the butts on top, that spacing will be ok...remember flip the racks upside down and your getting 5/8 of an inch back on the spacing. I am not going to have that issue with 7 inches for the top two and 5 inches on the bottom two if I am going only large meats. I will always cook my chicken on my green egg, its produced what I want and what as won me awards. With the spacing I mentioned to you above, my main point was to be able to have all 6 of my racks support full size pan height spacing. With the 3.5" that is going to be likely the minimum id consider going with, it will leave a 1/2ish of spacing. My other concern was to have a smoker that I was able to have side by side pans, the 27 1/2 inches was huge for me with inches to spare not touching each other and the metal sides. I understand your concern on moving it up and down, ive talked to others and it still doesnt seem to be an issue especially if the rise on the trailer isnt more than 20 degrees. When I plan to get my enclosed in 6x12 or 14 I will use solid blocks at the end of the door and just roll it out on the door to sit, at least that is my plan. Will see as I dont think the weight will be exceeding anything if the door is on blocks, I havent read anything that concerns me there yet.