MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Default Berkshire Pork Belly

I ordered a full belly from a farm that raises certified natural Humane raised, heritage Berkshire pork. It was rather expensive to begin with and throw in shipping it was criminally expensive. I cut it into about 2.5 pound slabs to cure for bacon. It did seem pretty fatty. When I went to slice it...it as almost all fat -- I think I sliced 3 pounds that did not have a spec of red meat. The slices that did have meat --there was not very much of it. This was my first experience with Berkshire pork, so it this typical or was I just unlucky?

Thanks
WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box and matching Pint
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Berkshire is the wagyu/kobe of the pork family.

This was normal.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Berks are on the fat side
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
jamus34
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
I ordered a full belly from a farm that raises certified natural Humane raised, heritage Berkshire pork. It was rather expensive to begin with and throw in shipping it was criminally expensive. I cut it into about 2.5 pound slabs to cure for bacon. It did seem pretty fatty. When I went to slice it...it as almost all fat -- I think I sliced 3 pounds that did not have a spec of red meat. The slices that did have meat --there was not very much of it. This was my first experience with Berkshire pork, so it this typical or was I just unlucky?

Thanks
You get this from Iowa by any chance? And as the other two guys stated Berks are fattier than normal; we have some of our customers complain about that when they compare that sku vs our normal other bacons.

22.5 OTS, 22.5 WSM, SJG (and soon to have the tamale pot mini-WSM conversion built)

Stealth gray Thermopen

jamus34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

There are some strains of Berks that have been selected for less backfat BUT have maintained the marbling. We have a few around here. VERY FEW. My kids raised about 5 or 6 a few years ago for FFA/4H and they won Champion and Reserve Champion with them. Got one Berk gilt we are going to AI this summer for some Berk babies.

Berks are known as a lard/bacon type pig. Meat is mighty fine though and will melt in your mouth.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Bgoods
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

The Berk bellies do run on the fat side, the flavor is great despite the smaller amount of "red" in the bacon. We've raised them for a number of years, so maybe I'm just used to it now...
Bgoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #7
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

I prefer Berk's for the shoulder's, ham's and other large roasts and cut's and Tamworth's for the bacon.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2013, 01:50 PM   #8
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
I prefer Berk's for the shoulder's, ham's and other large roasts and cut's and Tamworth's for the bacon.
You should see the loins coming out of the Gloucestershires I've been cooking. I'm not even a loin guy and just looking at them makes me weak kneed.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuyawk View Post
You should see the loins coming out of the Gloucestershires I've been cooking. I'm not even a loin guy and just looking at them makes me weak kneed.

Where are you getting them? I'm going to raise pigs starting next spring, maybe even for this fall if I get the pen and other things built. I'm actually looking at possibly cross breeding a few of the heritage breeds.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here are some Berk bellies we cured for bacon and smoked with Cherry on an FEC100 awhile back.

Six Points Berkshire or Black Gold Berkshire is all I've ever used and its always been meaty.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote