Anyone not worry about temps.

I think people obsess way too much about stuff like that, it even seems like the going thing now to add computerized devices to your cooker to control temp. I shoot for a temp range instead of a specific temp-usually somewhere between 250-300 for most of my cooks. As long as it's somewhere in there, I'm happy. I do usually check internals on stuff like whole turkeys and beer-can chickens.

Yup, I obsess over temperature every time. But I'm weird, I like things to be consistent and repeatable.

My skills are not yet at the point that I feel confident judging things solely on looks or feel. I still use temps as an indicator but I am getting better at learning the other things to look for. Personally I will probably always use temps as a guideline but not as the ultimate indicator.

The only temp I pay attention to it the pit temp as long as it is 275+ I'm golden. I like it hot because I'm lazy.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 160 in the breast.

Last edited:
bludawg..right on again...once a cook gains experience you can tell the temp...therm in pockets is for looks..if someone is looking over my shoulder..

Only with bigger hunks of meat like brisket. I have 4 in thr 9.5-10.5 lb range on the Fatboy that I put on last night, running in the 230 temp range. All four are probing different, but they'll be done when they're done.

For pit temps, I'm usually looking at a range from around 270-300ish. For brisket/butts/ribs etc. I'm not monitoring IT. For pork loin, prime rib, etc. I do monitor temps. I don't monitor temps for those cuts obsessively, but I would probably monitor more closely if I were catering or something like that. For chix, I pretty much know when it's done, but I'll still stick it with the Thermapen just to confirm

I started out cooking on an old ECB with out a thermometer. Didn't have a meat thermometer either. Cooked that way for years. Then moved on to a cheap New Braunfels offset and still didn't have a thermometer. It wasn't until I got an OK Joe Vertical Roasting Oven I ever cooked Q with a thermometer. Using nice accurate thermometers these days almost feels like cheatin'.

Back