• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Sticking agent for ribs

I've done mine with and without the mustard, didn't really see any advantage to the mustard. Anymore I apply my rub within a couple hours of the cook, seems to work good for me.

being on this topic lately I decided to put some vegitable oil on ribs (only oil I had). I dont know, I think it did something possitive but the one thing I noticed was one rack was almost completely void of a smoke rin and the other 2 racks were very lacking in ring.

coincidence?

Interesting topic. I headed to work this morning only to find a slow day...Temps are supposed to hover around 70 here at home so I headed home and just threw the ribs on the smoker! I haven't been doing this too long but have always used mustard. I decided to follow a few others this time and go simple: salt, pepper, and a dash of rub.

I have always used "Brown & Spicey mustard" coated on the ribs then my rub this is how someone had suggested it to be done! I was watching BBQ Pitmasters the other day and a guy out of KC add yellow mustard on top of the rub?? Of course he did not do very well.

I use the cheapest vegetable oil i can find at the store. Been doing it this way for quite a few years now.

I've always done just the rub. I've done it the night before and I've done it shortly before throwing them on the smoker with similar results.

I would suggest you NOT let your rub sit overnight. It will solve all your problems with bark.
Agreed. I learned this also. I used to put my rub on a night before and never got the results I wanted. Now rub goes on right before meat hits the smoker.

I like to use olive oil and Worcestershire .let sit while getting the fire going and then put rub on and on to the smoker

I use teriyaki sauce as a sticking agent, it adds the umami factor with savory, sweet, salty, and bitter as balanced flavors..

Apply a thin coat then add the rub, let sit 10-20 minutes before going into the smoker.

I've done with and without oil or mustard. Both seem fine.

Now, if I'm seasoning the night before, it will just be rub, nothing else. and maybe another shot just before they hit the smoker

Back